Sehnsuchtswalzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sehnsuchtswalzer

What is known about Sehnsuchtswalzer, published as a composition by Beethoven in 1826?

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 28, 2003).]

I found nothing listed under "Sehnsuchtswalzer". Under the list of Beethoven songs, I found "Sehnsucht"(four settings of "Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt," WoO 134), "Sehnsucht" ("Die stille Nacht undunkelt," WoO 146), and "Sehnsucht" ("Was zieht mir das Herz" from the Three songs, Op. 83, on poems by Goethe).

The WoO 134, No. 1 was composed in 1807-8 and was first published in 1810. The WoO 146 was composed in 1815-16 and the text was from Christian Ludwig Reissig. The Op. 83, No.2 was composed in 1810-11 and was dedicated to Princess Caroline Kinsky, but I read in another book that this song was written for Therese Malfatti.

And for those of you who can't speak German, Sehnsucht means yearning.

Comment

Thankyou for all that searching Andrea,

I am wondering whether the Sehnsuchtswalzer -(Waltz of Longing) was a composition of Franz Schubert, and he dedicated the piece to Beethoven.
      But it was thought to have been composed by Beethoven. Like you, I could not find this piece amongst B's works.

I think Schubert dedicated songs to Beethoven, as we are told that, Beethoven was shown shortly before his death some of Schubert's songs and allegedly commented;- "Truly, in Schubert there is a divine spark".

I do like some of Schubert's sweet songs.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander View Post
        What is known about Sehnsuchtswalzer, published as a composition by Beethoven in 1826?

It is possible that this waltz was published under Beethoven's name in 1826 (Schott in Mainz and Bachmann in Hannover), but we only have got the 19th century Beethoven sholar Nottebohm's word for this.

With certainty published in 1828 (Schott in Mainz) however was a collection of 6 waltzes and a funeral march with the title Souvenir à Beethoven. Six valses et une marche funèbre pour le Piano.

Of this collection only the funeral march is by Beethoven, the funeral march from his piano sonata opus 26. All other works are incorrect attributions (to formulate this politely).

The very first waltz (A flat major) is titled Sehnsuchtswalzer.
        It is very similar to, though not identical with, a waltz by Schubert, no.2 of his 36 Original-Tänze für das Piano-Forte, opus 9 (D.365, composed 1816, published 1821), named Trauerwalzer (mourning waltz) in A flat major.

Comment

Working...
        X