Hess 250, The Riddle Canon in C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hess 250, The Riddle Canon in C

What is known about the Riddle Canon, Hess 250, Sent By Beethoven in 1816, in a letter to the Opera Singer- Anna Milder-Hauptman, who had just got married.

Written as follows in German;

"Ich keusse Sie, druecke Sie, an mein Herz!"

"Ich der Hauptman, der Hauptman".

Beethoven adds;

"Fort mit allen uebrigen Falschen Hauptmaennern"

"I kiss you, I close you in my heart"

"I am the Captain, the Captain"

"Down with all the other false Captains"

Is this the same as WoO 169?

The riddle about this riddle canon is whether it is a canon or not?.

This is what I found on this Canon.

The first riddle about this riddle canon is whether it is a canon or not. The notes are in two seperate chunks (1.Ich k¸sse Sie and 2.Ich der Hauptmann!) and it is not clear whether they belong together. Ludwig Misch ("Beethoven Studies", p.256/8) discusses the apparent impossibility to solve this canon. Perhaps that's why this canon was recorded only as a single line in DG's 1997 complete edition.

However, Hess (Hess Supp.V, Revisionsbericht) indicates two solutions: 1) entry of the second voice after one bar a fourth higher, and 2) entry of the second after one bar as mirror image in the prime. The second chunk ("Ich der Hauptmann") can in both solutions be inserted as free counterpoint starting in the second bar.

Willem noticed that, in both cases, this second chunk can also be inserted starting in the first bar, a fourth lower, thus turning both solutions into true four part double canons.

Also noteworthy is the way Beethoven treats the word "Hauptmann": he slices it in two, with a marked rest between "Haupt" and "mann", comparable to the way he treats "Amen" in the Credo of the Missa Solemnis. It is as if he decapitates his rival musically.

The midi first gives the notes written by Beethoven as single line, followed by the world premieres of the two double canons.

If you want to hear this music or read more about it click here/ Hope this helps.
    http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/sear...ce=hess250.mid

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited March 27, 2003).]
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Thankyou for that Joy,

I did listen , though it is short but very sweet!

Today I listened to Ah! Perfido, I simply (((Adore))) it. I am sure you do to.

The trouble is I have to keep playing it again.

Comment

Thankyou for that Joy,

The trouble is I have to keep playing it again, along with other pieces.

God, I have needed it, as my colleagues and I have had an incredibly stressful 2 weeks at work for reasons I can't talk about right now. But all the Guy's and Doll's from work have planned an evening out and enjoy a nice nosh up.
        Matron is so thoughtful and cheered us up with a beautiful big bunch of brightly coloured flowers.

Thank goodness tomorrow is friday, the time now is 23.00, I guess it is still early evening for you. I must get my beauty sleep.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 27, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

What is known about the Riddle Canon, Hess 250, Sent By Beethoven in 1816, in a letter to the Opera Singer- Anna Milder-Hauptman, who had just got married.

Is this the same as WoO 169?

The riddle about this riddle canon is whether it is a canon or not?.

It is the same as WoO169. Puzzle canons are where only one line of the composition is written out - you have to work out where the other voices should enter, sometimes more than one solution is possible.

Anna Milder (1785-1838) married in 1810 and was known as Anna Milder-Hauptmann - she later became a champion of Schubert's songs. At the famous concert of Dec 22 1808 she was to have been the soloist in a performance of the aria 'Ah, perfido!' but refused to perform as Beethoven had offended her. Clearly any differences were forgotten as she sang the part of Leonore yet again in the 1814 revival of Fidelio.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:
            Thankyou for that Joy,

The trouble is I have to keep playing it again, along with other pieces.

God, I have needed it, as my colleagues and I have had an incredibly stressful 2 weeks at work for reasons I can't talk about right now. But all the Guy's and Doll's from work have planned an evening out and enjoy a nice nosh up.
            Matron is so thoughtful and cheered us up with a beautiful big bunch of brightly coloured flowers.

Thank goodness tomorrow is friday, the time now is 23.00, I guess it is still early evening for you. I must get my beauty sleep.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 27, 2003).]
            I do enjoy 'Ah Perfido' as well. Sounds like you had a nice evening out after a hard week. 23.00 hours is 4:00p.m. (16.00 hours) in the afternoon for me!

Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
            X