Remembering Beethoven Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remembering Beethoven Today

In honour of Beethoven's "Todestag", (26 March 1827), I visited Vienna's Central Cemetery and placed flowers on Beethoven's grave.

I didn't go directly to his grave for I always take a side track and go by the graves of Heinrich von Collin, Karl Czerny and Antonio Salieri first. After this I visited the graves of Gluck, J.Strauss Sr. Jr., the other Strauss brothers, Lanner, Brahms, Schubert and von Suppe. There in the midst of all of these composers lies Beethoven. He's in good company.

I waited until there was no one at his grave before I placed my flowers there. I wonder what he thinks about all of the people who come to this cemetery just to see his grave? Normally there are many tourists there so I was lucky to have some alone time with him. I hope he is happy wherever he is now and that he can hear again...

------------------

Good for you Andrea. Wish I could have been there myself.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
      In honour of Beethoven's "Todestag", (26 March 1827), I visited Vienna's Central Cemetery and placed flowers on Beethoven's grave.

I didn't go directly to his grave for I always take a side track and go by the graves of Heinrich von Collin, Karl Czerny and Antonio Salieri first. After this I

visited the graves of Gluck, J.Strauss Sr.

Jr., the other Strauss brothers, Lanner,
      Brahms, Schubert and von Suppe. There in

the midst of all of these composers lies Beethoven. He's in good company.

I waited until there was no one at his grave before I placed my flowers there. I wonder what he thinks about all of the people who come to this cemetery just to see his grave? Normally there are many tourists there so I was lucky to have some alone time with him. I hope he is happy wherever he is now and that he can hear again...

Thankyou Andrea, on everyone's behalf, we do honour Beethoven.
      It is a lovely gesture to put flowers on Beethoven's grave.
      And yes, I am sure that Beethoven can "Hear in heaven"

When we visit Shakespear's grave, which is actually inside the Holy Trinity Church, only a few yards from the River Avon, near his home. A very beautiful, tranquil setting.
      We are charged a fee to view Shakespeare's grave and place flowers upon it. There used to be a candle perpetually burning, but now there are always flowers laid upon it.
      I suppose the money goes towards the upkeep of the church.
      I Suppose they think they are acting on christian principles!

On one occasion, in one of my mischievous moods, too see what they would do and to put them to the test incase one did not pay to see the grave.
      I bypassed the verger and just smiled at him then went straight to the grave without paying, I was not approached by the clergy as I stood there in quiet contemplation.

I don't see why we should pay to see someones grave, but I always put money in the collection box.

Terrible rebel that I am!

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 26, 2003).]

Comment

I didn't go directly to his grave for I always take a side track and go by the graves of Heinrich von Collin, Karl Czerny and Antonio Salieri first. After this I visited the graves of Gluck, J.Strauss Sr. Jr., the other Strauss brothers, Lanner, Brahms, Schubert and von Suppe. There in the midst of all of these composers lies Beethoven. He's in good company.

You are very, very fortunate. I can only dream of visiting, not only the gravesite but of visiting some of the dwellingplaces where Beethoven resided in life. Thanks for posting that--I found it deeply touching.

Comment

Very nice, Andrea. Today is my sister's and mother-in-law's birthday. I celebrate them but I always remember Beethoven too. Someday I do plan to visit Vienna. I'll take you up on your offer to show me around ( you're so nice). His gravestone is one of the places I would love to visit. Thank you for letting us know of your gesture.

Comment

Yes Andrea that was a very nice gesture and thank you for sharing it with us.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
            X