Most authoritative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    Well, certainly all corners heard from! We are not differentiating here between Brendel's early 60's performances on Vox and his recent set on Philips, so I can only say that since I don't have the Philips set I don't know, but I DO have the Vox set, and the young Brendel did justice to the music quite nicely. I also have (and have recommended here before) the Kempff set of Opp. 13, 27#2, 53 & 57 on DG Originals, and IMHO it is an excellent disk, but then, I like Kempff's style, which not all do.
    Regards, Gurn

I, too, like the earlier Brendel (mostly I've heard the variations, though). There are two complete sets from Kempf; are you referring to the earlier or later? Some of the sonatas in the later set are a bit more than adequate but some of the lesser known ones are not played well in my opinion. I feel that Kempf gets sloppy both in technique and expression and I came away from the set disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:

Barenboim, as both pianist and conductor, is an example of how to do this with good taste. Conductor Wolfgang Sawallisch also has admirable flexibility that never overdoes itself. Even Brendel, while more restrained, plays with that slight essential flexibility.
      I've not been very impressed with Barenboim as pianist. I have a set of his performance of the Chopin Nocturnes and I've noticed, for example, that there is not a very wide range of dynamic expression. While the technique sounds good the expression does not. May I ask what it is you like about Barenboim as pianist? I am trying to unravel my bias about him.

Comment

Working...
      X