Book Suggestions, Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Suggestions, Please

I am in the way of purchasing a new book for my library, and since I don't often have the opportunity, I don't wish to squander it. I am looking for a book on the works of Beethoven (I have plenty of biographies) that would be comparable to "The Compleat Mozart" by Zaslaw. One that I am considering is "The Beethoven Compendium". Has anyone read this book, and does it deal mainly with the works? Since I can't buy locally, it will likely have to be available at Amazon.com, but then, most books are. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks, Gurn
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Compendium is full of fascinating info on all aspects of Beethoven. If you particularly want a book on the works then The Beethoven Companion (edited by Denis Arnold & Nigel Fortune) is probably a better bet.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      The Compendium is full of fascinating info on all aspects of Beethoven. If you particularly want a book on the works then The Beethoven Companion (edited by Denis Arnold & Nigel Fortune) is probably a better bet.

Thank you Peter, this is just the info I was hoping for.
      Regards, Gurn
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        I am in the way of purchasing a new book for my library, and since I don't often have the opportunity, I don't wish to squander it. I am looking for a book on the works of Beethoven (I have plenty of biographies) that would be comparable to "The Compleat Mozart" by Zaslaw. One that I am considering is "The Beethoven Compendium". Has anyone read this book, and does it deal mainly with the works? Since I can't buy locally, it will likely have to be available at Amazon.com, but then, most books are. Any suggestions would be helpful.
        Thanks, Gurn
        I read The Beethoven Compendium and it is chocked full of information. I got mine from the local library. If you want a book about his works try 'Beethoven' by Denis Matthews.
        Vintage Books, a Division of Random House, New York (1985). It explains in detail his music from chamber music to concertos. Also has a list of his works, calendar of events, and some history as well.

Joy

'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          I read The Beethoven Compendium and it is chocked full of information. I got mine from the local library. If you want a book about his works try 'Beethoven' by Denis Matthews.
          Vintage Books, a Division of Random House, New York (1985). It explains in detail his music from chamber music to concertos. Also has a list of his works, calendar of events, and some history as well.

Joy

Thanks Joy. I looked this one up on Amazon after Peter mentioned it, but it is no longer available. I didn't think it would be so hard to find just the right book with all of the ones out there, but books just on the works aare rare, unless one goes with just the quartets, then just the sonatas etc.. I don't have a local library, which doesn't help, either!
          Regards, Mike
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Does no one have further suggestions? It is amazing to me that I cannot find a book that is centered on just the works of B. I realize that it is difficut to divorce the man from the works, but with the wealth of biographical material out there, there should be at least a little bit of balance. Even the Compendium has only 75 out of 300+ pages devoted to the music, and after all, that is what attracts us to the man! Oh well!
            Regards, Gurn

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited March 01, 2003).]
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Does no one have further suggestions? It is amazing to me that I cannot find a book that is centered on just the works of B. I realize that it is difficut to divorce the man from the works, but with the wealth of biographical material out there, there should be at least a little bit of balance. Even the Compendium has only 75 out of 300+ pages devoted to the music, and after all, that is what attracts us to the man! Oh well!
              Regards, Gurn

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited March 01, 2003).]
              Gurn, I have been keeping your quest on Beethoven's works in mind. Do you live near a bookstore? I practically live in my favourite bookstore.
              Forget the Library, my local one only had 4 books on Beethoven which are a bit moth eaten and well used by students bieng marked in various places with pencil.
              You can get anything you want in London, well practically anything from my experience anyway.
              There are critical studies on 'B's works,
              and a book I have been thinking of buying that may interest you entitled;- The Beethoven Quartet Companion. I recommend it to you, as I have read bits of it in the shop, but I will buy it next time. Included in this book is;-

1. Performing Beenthoven's quartets in their first century.

2. Beethoven Beyond Classicism

3. A players perspective of the quartets in performance.

4. Notes on the quartets, by Michael Steinberg.

5. The Early Quartets.

Then there is Beethoven's piano Sonatas, by
              Charles Rosen.
              There is a number of good books on the Sonatas.

I would like a book on The late string quartet analyses, but I think these works are beyond analyses.

I tend to keep looking until I find what I want as I know what I want and am very selective. Even though I don't alway understand everything, I try.

Have you the equivalent of a firm called 'Beaver Book Search'? they find out of print books. You can also try browsing antiquarian book shops.
              I have found numerous good books on Shakespeare in the antiquarian book shops. It is just knowing where to go.

Lysander

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:
                Gurn, I have been keeping your quest on Beethoven's works in mind. Do you live near a bookstore? I practically live in my favourite bookstore.
                Forget the Library, my local one only had 4 books on Beethoven which are a bit moth eaten and well used by students bieng marked in various places with pencil.
                You can get anything you want in London, well practically anything from my experience anyway.
                There are critical studies on 'B's works,
                and a book I have been thinking of buying that may interest you entitled;- The Beethoven Quartet Companion. I recommend it to you, as I have read bits of it in the shop, but I will buy it next time. Included in this book is;-

1. Performing Beenthoven's quartets in their first century.

2. Beethoven Beyond Classicism

3. A players perspective of the quartets in performance.

4. Notes on the quartets, by Michael Steinberg.

5. The Early Quartets.

Then there is Beethoven's piano Sonatas, by
                Charles Rosen.
                There is a number of good books on the Sonatas.

I would like a book on The late string quartet analyses, but I think these works are beyond analyses.

I tend to keep looking until I find what I want as I know what I want and am very selective. Even though I don't alway understand everything, I try.

Have you the equivalent of a firm called 'Beaver Book Search'? they find out of print books. You can also try browsing antiquarian book shops.
                I have found numerous good books on Shakespeare in the antiquarian book shops. It is just knowing where to go.

Lysander
                Lysander,
                I appreciate your suggestions. Unfortunately, I do not live remotely near a large city. I do the bulk of my book shopping online, at amazon.com. Thus my reliance on suggestions such as yours, because even though I could return disappointments, I rarely do, just my nature, I suppose. I have seen some of the books you mention, and I must say, if I have to get a specialized book on each genre, I will do so. Hope I don't have to, because most of the rarities would get no treatment at all this way, although all the major works would.
                As to your late quartet interest, Joseph Kerman has an excellent (if you are a musician or well educated musically) book on the Quartets. The reviews that I have read, and from other books of his that I have, are unanimous in recommending it, but you must have good knowledge of music theory to be able to use it. If this sounds like it would suit you, go to amazon.com and type "Joseph Kerman" in the search box, and it will come up quite nicely. Even lets you look at several pages. After which, of course, you may even find it locally. Anyway, best of luck in that, and I appreciate your interest.
                Regards, Gurn
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thankyou Gurn,

I have pondered about buying the book by 'Joseph Kerman' but I haven't a good knowledge of music theory, though I do want to understand and analyse Beethoven's awesome late string quartets.

Wagner's astute comments on Beethoven's C sharp minor quartet Opus 131,
                  In the Adagio quasi un poco andante;-
                  He comtemplates life, and appears to reflect how he is to play a dance for life itself; a short but troubled meditation,--as though he were diving into a deep dream of his soul.

Allegro Finale;
                  He again has caught sight of the inner side of the world; he wakens, and strikes the strings for a dance, cries of anguish, love's ecstasy, highest rapture, misery, rage; voluptuous now, and sorrowful; lightnings quiver, storms roll; and high above the gigantic musician! banning and compelling all things, proudly and firmly wielding them from whirl to whirlpool, to the abyss.
                  He laughs at himself; for the incantation was, after all, but play on him. Thus night beckons. His day is done.

Although Wagner was a polished intellectual, I find myself understanding him.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 01, 2003).]

Comment

As to your late quartet interest, Joseph Kerman has an excellent (if you are a musician or well educated musically) book on the Quartets. The reviews that I have read, and from other books of his that I have, are unanimous in recommending it, but you must have good knowledge of music theory to be able to use it. If this sounds like it would suit you, go to amazon.com and type "Joseph Kerman" in the search box, and it will come up quite nicely. Even lets you look at several pages. After which, of course, you may even find it locally. Anyway, best of luck in that, and I appreciate your interest.
                    Regards, Gurn
                    I have the Kerman Quartet book which is very interesting though I don't agree with all he says - for one thing he is quite dismissive of the Op.18 quartets.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Gurn,
                      I have been keeping you in mind searching for good books on BEETHOVEN.
                      I thought you might be interested my latest prize possession, that I discovered in an antiquarian bookshop. It is entitled; BEETHOVEN By Walter Riezler, with an introduction by, Wilhelm Furtwangler. 1938- First Edition.

I don't necessarily agree with everything that Furtwangler say's, but here is the intro. by him.

An introduction by Wilhelm Furtwangler.

There is perhaps no other German whose name is held in such reverence throughout the world as that of Beethoven. His music is not popular in the sense in which Wagner's of Schubert's is popular; but in int there is a spiritual force unique in German music, and by no means has the power and greatness of German feeling and character been more cogently expressed than by him.

In an age that seems little favourable to a true thorough understanding of Beethoven it is desirable that this should be specially emphasized. The average current interpretation of his works suggests perplexity and embarrassment. Some see in him the 'Classic', a composer long since dead, and now of purely historical interest, whose works are to be performed, if at all, as museum pieces--that is, in a manner strictly conformable with their 'style'. Others, following the Romantics, insist upon seeing in him the 'Titan', the first entirely subjective composer, whose works justify, or even call for, personal interpretation of every conceivable kind. Others again----those of modern 'objective' shcool--- hope to gain access to him by means of a jejune and colourless fidelity to the letter of the score.
                      All these methods of approach, carried to their logical conclusion, simply result in caricatures; and it may be said that even a moderately satisfactory rendering of Beethoven's works is very much rarer than the public realizes.
                      And what of the verbal interpretations of these works? Here, it must be admitted, we are faced with special difficulties; and in this connexion Wagner once said...."since it is impossible to discuss Beethoven's music without immediately going into ecstasies..." Only those who do not really know Beethoven will take this as mere hyperbole. But whither do these "ecstasies" lead, seeing that they are the purely personal reaction of the commentator?
                      Assuredly not to the attainment of understanding!
                      Nor, it is true, shall we attain understanding by an attempt to approach Beethoven's works (incomparably clear and unambiguous as they are in their own language) along roads that are unconnected with music; or to find poetic keys for the unlocking of his compositions; or even to interpret them in the light of some theory of 'style-criticism' or some purely formal analysis that has never emerged from the domain of the abstracts.
                      Here one thing, and one thing alone, will help; to hold fast to the musical reality of Beethoven's works. In them Music and Soul are one in a manner that is only possible in the works of a truly great musician. Even to attempt to separate the one from the other is an offence.
                      Not through literature, and certainly not through psychology, but only through music, shall we gain access the soul of this great genius; nay, more--it is only in full awareness of our humanity that we shall fully grasp the tremendous reality of his music.

============================================

There is a more recent book that I would like to draw your attention to Gurn, it sounds it is one that should interest you, I have it on order...entitled, BEETHOVEN,HERO, By, Scott Burnham. Princeton University Press. I think published in 1996.. You should't have any trouble getting it.
                      It also discusses music theory.
                      A great book!

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 21, 2003).]

Comment

Lysander,
                        Well, that was quite interesting. I thank you for remembering me. I must say, I surely do agree with much of what Furtwangler is saying here, and additionally that things haven't changed all that much in the 60 or so years since that was written. One thing of course that was timely then was the reference to the German Spirit, even though B was a patriot bu all accounts, I have never seen any evidence that he was composing as the one who carried on the Teutonic tradition. Particularly so when one considers that a good deal of his Heroic Period musical influence was French ;-))
                        I shall look to see if I can find the "Hero" book, I have seen it advertised, maybe it can be had.
                        Once again, thanks, and my interest still remains high.
                        Regards, Gurn
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X