Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beethoven's sonata was influenced by different time periond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's sonata was influenced by different time periond?

Beetnoven was placed in the period crossing from late classical to early renaissance. He composed numerous renowed sonata, however, is there any difference between the two period of sonatas?

Beethoven's piano sonatas are a pretty good way to view his artistic development, because they span his entire career more or less continuously. I don't think there is a division between his Classical and Romantic sonatas (I'm sure you meant to say), so much as a gradual development. And I don't think any of his sonatas should be considered "Romantic" really, as their forms are still very Classical. They were innovative, certainly, but not in the same way as Romantic works. I think you will even find a good deal of Baroque influence in those later sonatas.

So, in answer to your question - each one is different and special and you cannot divide them up into two groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
      Beethoven's piano sonatas are a pretty good way to view his artistic development, because they span his entire career more or less continuously. I don't think there is a division between his Classical and Romantic sonatas (I'm sure you meant to say), so much as a gradual development. And I don't think any of his sonatas should be considered "Romantic" really, as their forms are still very Classical. They were innovative, certainly, but not in the same way as Romantic works. I think you will even find a good deal of Baroque influence in those later sonatas.

So, in answer to your question - each one is different and special and you cannot divide them up into two groups.
      I believe this is quite true even when you consider close sonatas, take the Opus 31 for an example, the first sonata looks a lot like Mozart, the second, like Beethoven himself and the third like Schubert and other romantic composers, three diferent periods in only one Opus...
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:

I think that Schubert's piano music demonstrates a greater shift towards Romanticism than does Beethoven's. Perhaps in harmony alone does Beethoven travel to unknown regions, but overall I find Schubert to be more Romantic in that genre.

Comment

Originally posted by angelchoi:
          Beetnoven was placed in the period crossing from late classical to early renaissance. He composed numerous renowed sonata, however, is there any difference between the two period of sonatas?
          Beethoven's late sonatas are not 'Romantic works' - indeed the Romantic composers were not influenced by them. Beethoven is actually at his closest to the generation that followed him in some of his early works - Adelaide and some of the slow movements of the early sonatas. The Early Romantic composers were more influenced by the melodic style of Italian opera and composers such as Schubert, Hummel and Weber, rather than the harmonic tension of the classical style with its emphasis on the tonic-dominant relationship. Beethoven moved away from the dominant as his secondary tonality quite early on in his career, but his secondary tonalities acted as subsitute dominants and preserved the classical increase in harmonic tension and drama.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
          X