Du, dem sie gewunden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Du, dem sie gewunden

Which is the rare instrument which sounds in the start of the melodram Du, dem sie gewunden of the incidental music for Leonore Prohaska?

The Glass Harmonica

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      The Glass Harmonica

Didn't Ben Franklin invent that?

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
        Didn't Ben Franklin invent that?
        Gluck had wrongly claimed inventing the musical glasses, (they had in fact been known for at least a century before).Franklin's contribution was in the mechanisation of the glasses. The keyboard modification of Franklin's instrument was introduced by Karl Rollig in 1787.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I love the glass harmonica for its eerie, other worldly sound. I have a CD of music for this instrument with includes from Mozart the Adagio and Rondo in C minor, K. 617; Rondeau in B-flat major by Johann Friederich Reichardt; a Quintet in C minor by Karl Leopold Röllig; Largo in C minor by Johann Abraham Peter Schulz; and a Quartet in C major by Johann Gottlieb Naumann.

Dr.Franz Anton Mesmer (1734-1814), the famous hypnotist from whom the word "mesmerism" was derived, was also quite able to play this instrument well. Leopold Mozart wrote to his wife, 12 Aug. 1773: "Do you know that Herr von Mesmer plays Miss Davies' harmonica unusually well? He is the only person in Vienna who has learnt it and he possesses a much finer glass instrument than Miss Davies does. Wolfgang too has played upon it. How I should like to have one!" Miss Marianne Davies was a celebrated virtuoso on the glass harmonica in Vienna at this time.

[This message has been edited by Andrea (edited March 14, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            Gluck had wrongly claimed inventing the musical glasses, (they had in fact been known for at least a century before).Franklin's contribution was in the mechanisation of the glasses. The keyboard modification of Franklin's instrument was introduced by Karl Rollig in 1787.

Try this site. I knew he invented something like this.
            http://sln.fi.edu/franklin/musician/musician.html

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
              Try this site. I knew he invented something like this.
              http://sln.fi.edu/franklin/musician/musician.html
              Thank you Heidi. This is a great site, I love it! Way to go Mr. Franklin!

Comment

Working...
              X