Favorite Beethoven Overtures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TJJ:
    Thank you Joy. At this moment I'm listening to the disc you mentioned. Five out of the eight tracks I presently do not own. It's a slam dunk. Next time I jouney out I'll look for this recording. Thanks again.
    Nothing I have heard can compare to the Hanover Band recording of 'Consecration..' I have (Nimbus records). That CD of overtures is fantastic. I'll upload the Handel piece (the Sonata intro from the Chandos Anthem No1) at this chain on Monday.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Coriolan
      Egmont
      Fidelio
      Leonore #3

The others are fine too, but these are my personal favorites.

Comment

Special thanks to Joy on her recommendation to purchase the Beethoven Overtures Vol.2. I did just that today!

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I'm glad so many people have referred to 'Consecration of the House', I think for a long time is was almost unheard of. If anyone would like to hear the short Handel piece upon which the main body of the work is based (thought Beethoven intermingles it with themes of his own) I could upload it here. 'Namensfeier' is also good entertainment, if it too was ever performed!

OK, here's the Handel piece as promised. It has two sections, the relevant part here is the longer section two.

Chandos1

------------------

Comment

Thank you, Rod, for this wonderful piece from Handel. It really made me feel good since I've been suffering from the flu problem that has spread through Vienna in the last month. It made the sunshine outdoors shine just that much brighter. Danke...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
              Thank you, Rod, for this wonderful piece from Handel. It really made me feel good since I've been suffering from the flu problem that has spread through Vienna in the last month. It made the sunshine outdoors shine just that much brighter. Danke...
              You're welcome Andrea. Handel's piece is on a rather more intimate scale compared Beethoven's vast overture, but I think those who have heard 'Consecration' will easily recognise the music Beethoven (openly) borrowed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited March 10, 2003).]

Comment

OK, here's the Handel piece as promised. It has two sections, the relevant part here is the longer section two.

Chandos1

That was very pleasant! I had to listen to it twice as it was short. Now I shall have to listen to the overture again; my appetite has been whetted.

Thanks!

Comment

Very enjoyable and interesting to hear - thanks!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Very nice to hear and interesting as it's one I hadn't heard before. Thanks for posting it!
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by TJJ:
                      Special thanks to Joy on her recommendation to purchase the Beethoven Overtures Vol.2. I did just that today!
                      You're very welcome. Glad to be of some help. I'm now looking for Vol.1. (Might as well have both. It has the Leonore Overtures on it.
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

JOY,for what it's worth,the Szell/Cleveland Orchestra is awesome and cheap also for SONY. I think I paid 7 or 8 dollars. Works include:
                        Leonore 1,2,3
                        Fidelio
                        Egmont
                        Coriolan
                        King Stephen
                        Creatures of Prometheus

Can you tell I really enjoy this album?

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                          Very nice to hear and interesting as it's one I hadn't heard before. Thanks for posting it!
                          I doubt if anyone other than myself amongst us has heard the Chandos Anthems Joy! But they a full of little gems like this piece.

Has anyone so far recognised the material common between the two?

------------------

Comment

Has anyone so far recognised the material common between the two?

Obviously not! Kinda defeats the point of the excersise if nobody has. By the way I neglected standard practise by not crediting the track, it was 'The Complete Chandos Anthems', by the Sixteen Choir & Orchestra directed by Harry Christophers, Chandos label.

------------------

Comment

Obviously not! Kinda defeats the point of the excersise if nobody has. By the way I neglected standard practise by not crediting the track, it was 'The Complete Chandos Anthems', by the Sixteen Choir & Orchestra directed by Harry Christophers, Chandos label.

I think the connection is obvious which is why no one commented!

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                                I think the connection is obvious which is why no one commented!

Well I wanted comments!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X