Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    Chop,
    I can't help but think that this was not something he did unintentionally. B was known to be particularly fond of the cello (he wrote the first accompanied sonatas for it, as you know), and he may very well have felt that there was no problem with stressing the cello parts, even at the expense of perfect concertante tradition. Yet another innovation!!!
    Regards, Gurn
    Given the short length of the second movement (it's almost a transitional piece) perhaps he thought there would be no time to develop all the instruments in the structure he had planned

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Only now I got the time I needed to reply to this quote...

I think that this concerto has not one ballance problem, the piano is the only instrument that can play for a whole orchestra (making such sonatas as the Kreutzer for piano and violin sound as a concerto for violin and orchestra) and if Beethoven would write for the piano as he did with his last piano concertos, the cello and the violin parts would be insignificant.

That's why I think B did right by writing a smaller part for the piano, if he did the usual writing for the piano, the concerto would have balance problems.
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
        Only now I got the time I needed to reply to this quote...

I think that this concerto has not one ballance problem, the piano is the only instrument that can play for a whole orchestra (making such sonatas as the Kreutzer for piano and violin sound as a concerto for violin and orchestra) and if Beethoven would write for the piano as he did with his last piano concertos, the cello and the violin parts would be insignificant.

That's why I think B did right by writing a smaller part for the piano, if he did the usual writing for the piano, the concerto would have balance problems.
        I agree with this. But probably B. went too far in reducing the piano's prominence.

Comment

At some point I'll have to get back with everyone on this suject. I just purchased the recording featuring,Rostropovich,Oistrakh and Richter with the Berlin Philharmonic and Karajan on EMI.

Comment

TJJ,

I have this CD too and I really think it's great.
            I like it very much.
            Well, I like Oistrach so it's not surprising at all that I also like this CD.

I hope you'll enjoy listening to it.

m.

Comment

Working...
            X