Beethoven question????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven question????

I am doing a paper on Beethoven and there is one thing that I can not find out, that is who was Beethovens main student and how he believed may that Beethovens disability affected the life of Beethoven. A name or a website that would aid me in my surce would be great. I've looked every where but I guess I am missing something some where. If anyone could give me any help at all I would be so greatfull.

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by iiceumup (edited March 11, 2003).]

Originally posted by iiceumup:
    I am doing a paper on Beethoven and there is one thing that I can not find out, that is who was Beethovens main student and may have he believed that the disability affected the life of Beethoven. A name or a website that would aid me in my surce would be great. I've looked every where but I guess I am missing something some where. If anyone could give me any help at all I
    would be so greatfull.

Thank you.
    The only student of Beethoven's that had a disability that comes to mind is, Ferdinand Ries, who had lost and eye from smallpox during his childhood.
    How much it affected Beethoven, I am unsure, though without doubt he felt great compassion.

The highly talented Ferdinand Ries (1784-1838) received piano and violin lessons in Bonn from his father from the age of five, followed by cello instruction by Bernhard Romberg. Ferdinand's plans to become a musician in the court orchestra were disrupted by the forced departure of the then elector. Upon his arrival in Vienna in the fall (Autumn) of 1801, Beethoven, out of deep affection and gratitude to Ferdinand's father, Franz Anotn Ries, took a fatherly interest in his son Ferdinand, who had lost an eye during his childhood from smallpox.
    Beethoven taught Ferdinand the piano, assisted him with money, referred him to Albrechtsberger for composition lessons, and secured short term appointments for Ries as pianist to Count Browne in Baden in 1802, and to Prince Carl Lichnowsky for the summer of 1805. Ries in turn assisted Beethoven as secretary and copyist.

Ries received three lessons a week,. Beethoven tried to be more patient and tolerant than usual with Reis, though he demanded a very high standard of accuracy.

I hope this will be helpful,

Lysander.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 11, 2003).]

Comment

Working...
    X