Now available to members at
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

This is a surprisingly good composition with some nice melodies. Hess reconstructed the first movemement from the substantial fragment and, considering I also have a recording of the fragment on its own, he did a pretty good job of it. But it's rather long for downloading so I opted for the adagio, which is a nice piece in any case and survived complete. The minuet fragment is really too short to make a decent reconstruction.

And before anyone asks these are NOT period instruments! I have such a recording but it is an old one and the vibrato from the oboeist is intolerable - OboeKing take note!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited March 03, 2003).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      This is a surprisingly good composition with some nice melodies. Hess reconstructed the first movemement from the substantial fragment and, considering I also have a recording of the fragment on its own, he did a pretty good job of it. But it's rather long for downloading so I opted for the adagio, which is a nice piece in any case. The minuet fragment is really too short to make a decent reconstruction.

And before anyone asks these are NOT period instruments! I have such a recording but it is an old one and the vibrato from the oboeist is intolerable - OboeKing take note!

Yes, indeed, very nice! Nice horn part, too. And well played. Thanks!

Comment

The reconstructed Hess version of this quintet is available on Naxos 8.553090 together with a fine performance of the Septet Op. 20 and the Sextet Op. 81b.

Michael

Comment

Thanks, Rod - very enjoyable.

Comment

Thankyou Peter,
            The Quintet for winds is a very peaceful and idyllic piece of music.

Lysander.

PS- Were you puzzled about WoO 92a and have you heard it?

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lysander:
              Thankyou Peter,
              The Quintet for winds is a very peaceful and idyllic piece of music. Lysander.

Yes what a delightful little piece, very calm and serene.

Were you puzzled about WoO 92a and have you heard it?

I was and no I haven't! We have however featured several of the arias with orchestra on the rare page - Op.116, WoO90, WoO92 & WoO93.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                The reconstructed Hess version of this quintet is available on Naxos 8.553090 together with a fine performance of the Septet Op. 20 and the Sextet Op. 81b.

Michael
                That's what this mp3 is from. The catalogue number is on the rare page too, like with every track. The Sextet (two horns and string quartet) is particularly nice on this CD.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited March 04, 2003).]

Comment

Danke Rod!

I enjoyed this peaceful and lovely piece. Even my husband asked me, "War das von Beethoven? Wunderschön!" I must agree...

Comment

Are you implying my tone is extremely wobbly? lol only joking!

What a lovely piece of music the quintet is! I could listen to it for days...
                    (Unlike the 9th symphony. After the first time I heard it I had to listen to it once a day for at least 3 months! I'm not quite as mad about it now!)

Comment

What a lovely piece of music the quintet is! I could listen to it for days...
                      (Unlike the 9th symphony. After the first time I heard it I had to listen to it once a day for at least 3 months! I'm not quite as mad about it now!)

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
                        No, it was just a piece of general advice to a budding King. Vibrato should just be an occasional ornament and not used obligato on every note as one usually hears!

------------------

Comment

I must admit, although I've been playing the double reed instruments for years now, its only been in the past few months that I've properly got the hang of vibrato. Before it just sounded like I was either nervous or extremely cold!!!

Comment

Very nice. I enjoyed the horn part too. Very well played.

Joy
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Lovely indeed! One minor criticism: I felt the players didn't quite feel the long line as they must for something like this; the phrases were a little broken up for my taste. But that's very minor. The tone, blend, and tempo were perfect.

On vibrato: I like some, but not too much. Some singers speak as if it were automatic, but on wind instruments it must be under conscious control. It's probably less appropriate on period instruments, which makes me wonder about the wobble on Rod's old period instrument recording.

Comment

Working...
                              X