Fidelio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fidelio

We were talking about Beethoven's Overtures in another thread and I was wondering which Fidelio Overture everyone liked the best. There were four. The first of these, later published as Opus 138; the second overture, (Leonore Overture#2), which was used at the three performances in 1805; A third overture, (Leonore Overture#3), devised for a revival of the opera in revised form in 1806; and a fourth, known as the 'Fidelio Overture' written for a later revival in a further revision in 1814. Any comments?

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

My favourite of the four would have to be the "Leonora No. 1" which nobody seems to have any time for. I love Beethoven's use of "stereo" as the theme pans across the orchestra, and Florestan's aria is used very effectively.

Michael

Comment

I think I like the "Fidelio" best. They are all great, certainly, but...I still remember the first time I heard the Fidelio Overture. It absolutely floored me. Sometimes pieces just hit you like that for seemingly no particular reason.

Comment

I enjoy Leonore No.1. Overall,the Leonore's don't rank as highly as his other overtures. But that's just me.

Comment

The one called "Fidelio" is closest to my heart. And like others here, I find the 1st Leonara is very nice, too.

Comment

Working...
          X