Thunderous applause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderous applause

At the premiere of the 9th symphony, the audience broke out in thunderous applause. But when? I've heard reports saying it was, as usual, at the end of the symphony, but I've also heard that the audience were so amazed by the scherzo that they broke out at the end of the 2nd movement. Which is true?

Originally posted by OboeKing:
    At the premiere of the 9th symphony, the audience broke out in thunderous applause. But when? I've heard reports saying it was, as usual, at the end of the symphony, but I've also heard that the audience were so amazed by the scherzo that they broke out at the end of the 2nd movement. Which is true?
    I don't think we can say for sure. I suppose it depends on which source you deem the most reliable. Perhaps both are right!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
      And can we know in which of the two presumed applauses did the mezzo Karoline Unger turn Beethoven around to see the ovation?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
        And can we know in which of the two presumed applauses did the mezzo Karoline Unger turn Beethoven around to see the ovation?
        Probably not.

Comment

I've read several times that applause broke out right at the start of the 2nd movement because the audience had never heard such notes before. Also that Caroline Unger had turned Beethoven around at the very end of the 4th movement to see the applause. The orchestra had stopped playing but he was still 'conducting' because he was behind in his calculations of the final movement.

Joy
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
          X