piano sonata, op. 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piano sonata, op. 28

Having just splashed out on a complete set of Beethoven Piano sonata's, I found one I had never heard before, his op. 28 in D, nicknamed 'Pastorale.' When I sat down to play it I realised it was a completely beautiful piece, elegant even through the development. I found the recapitulation to be just as sweet! The andante and rondo are just as delightful, though I feel the almost childlike scherzo/trio lets the sonata down slightly. Anybody else heard and appreciated this piece let me know here!

Michael

Yep, heard and appreciated!

Comment

One of my favourites of the sonatas. The adante is beautiful I agree. I believe it was Beethoven's favourite to sit and play as well.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Absolutely - It is strange how some of the lesser known sonatas are amongst my favourites - Op.28, Op.54, Op.78, Op.90.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree. Me too! Ever since I bought the complete sonatas and am familiar with all of them not just the most popular I find myself enjoying the lesser known ones as much as the more famous ones. I love Opus 90 too. I was at a concert last year where the performer played that one. I believe it was written as a wedding gift for a Prince and his wife. Simply beautiful. I also enjoy the earlier ones 3 Piano Sonatas#1-3, Opus 2, and
          later Opus 31/1, 2, & 3 (The Hunt).

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited February 26, 2003).]
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
            Having just splashed out on a complete set of Beethoven Piano sonata's, I found one I had never heard before, his op. 28 in D, nicknamed 'Pastorale.' When I sat down to play it I realised it was a completely beautiful piece, elegant even through the development. I found the recapitulation to be just as sweet! The andante and rondo are just as delightful, though I feel the almost childlike scherzo/trio lets the sonata down slightly. Anybody else heard and appreciated this piece let me know here!

Michael
            Synchronicity is a wonderful thing. I was listening to that piece when I came across your letter. The first movement is particularly elegant and beautiful. As I had just finished listening to Op 27 #'s 1 & 2 and had been discussing them in another forum, I particularly had the thought that I in fact liked this one even better, since it has the classical structure intact, one of B's last essays in "old style" sonatas. Pleased from the replies that I am not alone in my enjoyment.
            Regards, Gurn
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              Absolutely - It is strange how some of the lesser known sonatas are amongst my favourites - Op.28, Op.54, Op.78, Op.90.

I adore Op. 54! The passage that begins bar 25, 'forte e staccato,' is a joy to play!

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:

Michael

This is among my favorites to play. I find it mesmerizing from beginning to end.

Comment

Op. 78 and 90 are probably two of my most favourite of the sonatas, and 101. But I also love op. 14, those two are definately my favourite early period piano works, Kendall Taylor describes them as "full of wit and consumate craftsmanship", quite a fitting assesment IMO.

Comment

Isn't Pastoral one of his more famous sonatas?

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
                      Isn't Pastoral one of his more famous sonatas?
                      No, possibly you are thinking of the Pastoral Symphony which is of course very well known.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

No, possibly you are thinking of the Pastoral Symphony which is of course very well known.

I would say it was Peter, it's usually found with the other 'named' favourites on CD. After the Moonlight it was the second Beethoven piece I had ever heard in its totality.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

No, i actually meant the piano sonata No. 15 in D, Op. 28 "Pastoral". Erm... not wanting to sound irritable, but i do know the difference between a piano sonata and a symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
                            No, i actually meant the piano sonata No. 15 in D, Op. 28 "Pastoral". Erm... not wanting to sound irritable, but i do know the difference between a piano sonata and a symphony.
                            I simply meant that if you referred to 'the Pastoral' far more people would think of the symphony and would not be aware that the sonata existed. I don't think Op.28 is as well known as the Pathetique or the Moonlight

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I simply meant that if you referred to 'the Pastoral' far more people would think of the symphony and would not be aware that the sonata existed. I don't think Op.28 is as well known as the Pathetique or the Moonlight

And unfortunately not.

Comment

Working...
                              X