no non Turbati , WoO 92

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no non Turbati , WoO 92

I love Beethoven's wonderful masterpiece, the Violin Concerto in D, Opus 61.
    I love how it opens with the unaccompanied timpani, and the sublime, warm luxurious sound of the violin.
    I can't begin to explain what the Larghetto does to me, except that I do not belong to this world when I am listening to it. It simply sublime.
    The Rondo is also wonderful, with the jaunty, lilting sound of the hunting horns.

Today for the first time I heard the piano version of the Allegro ma non troppo, but I
    found myself missing the sound of the timpani.
    The Piano version of the Rondo, is very beautiful too. But overall I much prefer
    the original Violin concerto.
    When were the Cadenzas composed for piano,
    and has anyone heard them?

I agree with you that the original Violin version is superior to the piano arrangement. The highly original cadenzas I think were the best thing to come out of this and they were were later transcribed by Max Rostal for Violin. They were written I think around 1808/9. It is a pity that few violinists actually play them - they seem to prefer Joachim to Beethoven!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

I love Beethoven's wonderful masterpiece, the Violin Concerto in D, Opus 61.
      I love how it opens with the unaccompanied timpani, and the sublime, warm luxurious sound of the violin.
      I can't begin to explain what the Larghetto does to me, except that I do not belong to this world when I am listening to it. It simply sublime.
      The Rondo is also wonderful, with the jaunty, lilting sound of the hunting horns.

Today for the first time I heard the piano version of the Allegro ma non troppo, but I
      found myself missing the sound of the timpani.
      The Piano version of the Rondo, is very beautiful too. But overall I much prefer
      the original Violin concerto.
      When were the Cadenzas composed for piano,
      and has anyone heard them?

Ironically the piano version suffers largely because of the same appaulingly lame direction that is usually applied to the Violin version. This is one of the most ponderously performed Beethoven pieces. Beethoven wrote an excellent cadenza for the piano which has an duet with the drums at one stage. This has been transcribed to violin quite successfully and is the only cadenza I'd recommend for the violin version. He wrote none for the violin itself.

What's this about the missing timpani?

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited February 28, 2003).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Ironically the piano version suffers largely because of the same appaulingly lame direction that is usually applied to the Violin version. This is one of the most ponderously performed Beethoven pieces. Beethoven wrote an excellent cadenza for the piano which has an duet with the drums at one stage. This has been transcribed to violin quite successfully and is the only cadenza I'd recommend for the violin version. He wrote none for the violin itself.

What's this about the missing timpani?

Rod,
        I think I was trying to say that the sample
        that I downloaded on to my windows media , I didn't hear the timpani at the begining of the Allegro ma non Troppo, perhaps it was so barely audible that I didn't even detect it. It was just a short excerpt.

I would be interested to hear Per Pieta Opus 65. Please Rod? .

Comment

Rod,
          I think I was trying to say that the sample
          that I downloaded on to my windows media , I didn't hear the timpani at the begining of the Allegro ma non Troppo, perhaps it was so barely audible that I didn't even detect it. It was just a short excerpt.

I would be interested to hear Per Pieta Opus 65. Please Rod? .

Well the drums are there in the piano version. Never judge a Beethoven piece solely by a recording, that's for certain.

I've got a version of Op65 played using authentic instruments, so it will be available at the 'Rare' page when it becomes the 'Major Works on Period Instruments' page, after the current list of rare pieces is used up. Considering I plan to upload the pieces near enough in order of date of composition, 'Ah Perfido' (as Op65 is usually known) should appear fairly early in the sequence.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited March 01, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Well the drums are there in the piano version. Never judge a Beethoven piece solely by a recording, that's for certain.

I've got a version of Op65 played using authentic instruments, so it will be available at the 'Rare' page when it becomes the 'Major Works on Period Instruments' page, after the current list of rare pieces is used up. Considering I plan to upload the pieces near enough in order of date of composition, 'Ah Perfido' (as Op65 is usually known) should appear fairly early in the sequence.

Thankyou Rod for your information.
            I am very much looking forward to 'The Major Works on Period Instrument Page' It will be very much appreciated and enjoyed.
            But I am curious to know what 'Uploading' means?. Perhaps I'd best leave it up to the experts.

Lysander.

Comment

Thankyou Rod for your information.
              I am very much looking forward to 'The Major Works on Period Instrument Page' It will be very much appreciated and enjoyed.
              But I am curious to know what 'Uploading' means?. Perhaps I'd best leave it up to the experts.

Lysander.
              Uploading means the transferring process of the mp3 from my hard drive to that of the internet server - from where you will download it.

------------------

Comment

Not complaining or anything, but why is this thread titled "no non turbati" WoO92?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                  Not complaining or anything, but why is this thread titled "no non turbati" WoO92?

Michael
                  It has rather puzzled me as well - perhaps there is there some cryptic meaning - if there were I wouldn't get it as I'm hopeless at those things!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited March 02, 2003).]
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
                    It has rather puzzled me as well - perhaps there is there some cryptic meaning - if there were I wouldn't get it as I'm hopeless at those things!

[/QUOTE

My apologies for the above confusion, I typed in WoO 92 as I was listening to this piece, and ofcourse should have been the Piano version of The Violin Concerto in D major. I realized after submitting. Sorry!

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by lysander:
                      Originally posted by Peter:

[/QUOTE

My apologies for the above confusion, I typed in WoO 92 as I was listening to this piece, and ofcourse should have been the Piano version of The Violin Concerto in D major. I realized after submitting. Sorry!

I was listening to the beautiful Italian Arias;-

WoO 92a - no non turbarti, written 1802?
                      WoO 92 - Primo Amore, written 1791

It doesn't take much to confuse me, and don't mind getting my wrist slapped!
                      Trouble is, I tend to have too much going on in my head sometimes. I want to know and understand everything at once. There never seems enough time to devote to Beethoven.

Comment

Working...
                      X