Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous Piano Sonatas

Hi,

What do you think of Brendel playing B's famous Piano Sonatas ?
    Is it a good CD to start with (I don't have any other performance of these sonatas yet).

If you don't like these CDs, can you tell me why and what other option you suggest ?

By the way, I'm talking about the CD in the following link:
    http://www.towerrecords.com/product.asp?pfid=1087848

Thanks.

Originally posted by m:
    Hi,

Is it a good CD to start with (I don't have any other performance of these sonatas yet).

If you don't like these CDs, can you tell me why and what other option you suggest ?

Thanks.
    I have heard Brendel playing several of these and liked them. But to me personally the most powerful perfomances I have heard of the 'popular' 3 (Moonlight, Appassionata, Pathetique), are the classic recordings by Rudolf Serkin.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 28, 2003).]
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Just go for the cheapest set you can find, regardless of who is playing. The performance of Beethoven sonatas is a total lottery even with the best known names.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited February 28, 2003).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by m:
        Hi,

Thanks.
        m,
        As Rod says, it's a crapshoot, I have both Brendel sets and like them, but others don't, so who can say. However, my single favorite disk of sonatas is exactly the ones you ask about (Pathetique, Moonlight, Appassionata & Waldstein) only by Wilhlem Kempff on DG Originals. It is a mid-price CD, and very generally available, and I just really like Kempff's technique, esp. on these sonatas. There again, thousands don't, but hey, viva la difference!
        Regards, Gurn
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn,

Well, you convinced me with your Kempff suggestion.
          I saw that there is an Eloquence CD with him playing B's sonatas.
          It's a very "human" price for an Eloquence CD in my country so I may order one next week.

I also saw that there is a Radu Lupu version for the same sonatas (in Eloquence too).
          He also plays B's concertos which seems quite interesting.

Does anyone have any idea how are these CDs ?
          I love his performance with Perahia for Schubert's Fantasy.

I know it's a matter of "personal musical taste" but I still want to "hear" your opinion.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by m (edited February 28, 2003).]

Comment

You could also consider the following

Complete Sonatas : Richard Goode -Elektra Nonesuch 7559-79328--2

Jean-Bernard Pommier Vol. 1, Sonatas 1-10: 3 CDs, Erato 2292-45598-2 (1991) Vol. 2, Sonatas 11-20: 3 CDs, Erato 2292-45812-2 (1992) Vol. 3, Sonatas 21-27: 3 CDs, Erato 4509-91727-2 (1994)

Paul Komen is also worth considering for period instrument recordings.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by m:
              Gurn,

Well, you convinced me with your Kempff suggestion...I love his performance with Perahia for Schubert's Fantasy.

I know it's a matter of "personal musical taste" but I still want to "hear" your opinion.
              m.
              Well, you won't be disappointed with Kempff. He is a marvelous player, and really gives life to these works, which demand not only technical excellence but a depth of feeling. I also have Kempff's 4 CD set on DG of Schumann's Nearly Complete Works for Piano, where he also excels. If you are extraordinarily critical of such things, you might dislike that you can hear a couple of spots where there were imperfections in the source tape that were not eliminated in the "digitalization", but no other complaints that I can make. It would be nice to hear them on a period piano I think, but that is a discussion for another time and place, and has already been done to death.
              Regards, Gurn

PS - The catalog number is 447 404-2
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have that CD, i absolutely love it, it's one of my faves. I had Frank Braley's of Moonlight & Appassionata as well, but i prefer Alfred Brendel. I just splurged and bought the entire five piano concertos by Brendel & Levine/Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Enjoying that so far.

Comment

Thank you all.

After I buy the CD, I'll tell you what I think.

I think I'll choose Kempff this time (since you recommended it and it's in low price here).

Again, thank you.

[This message has been edited by m (edited March 01, 2003).]

Comment

Working...
                  X