MUSICA CONTEMPORANEA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MUSICA CONTEMPORANEA

secondo voi la musica di ora e' molto avanguardistica oppure no?

je ne comprends pa, je suis anglais! Je parle francais un peux, et je ne comprends vous question. Tu aime le Beethoven? J'adore le symphonie numero neuf, c'est magnifique!

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
      je ne comprends pa, je suis anglais! Je parle francais un peux, et je ne comprends vous question. Tu aime le Beethoven? J'adore le symphonie numero neuf, c'est magnifique!
      I understood that whole thing and yet have never taken a French class in my life. Could it be that my years of intense study in Spanish served a greater purpose than just getting me A's in Spanish classes in high school? Could it be that I learned the concepts of the language so well that I am able to apply it to similar things, and consequently have a stronger connection with some of my fellow human beings? And that I am a better man for it? For does not knowing my brothers help me love them more?

I doubt it. It is far more likely that the four soft tacos I just ate from Taco Bell possess magical powers that allow people to understand French. That Spanish class thing was kind of ridiculous, in retrospect...

Comment

Originally posted by ULADIGNI:
        Don't care much for them I'm afraid!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by ULADIGNI:
          My rough translation, aided by a free Web translation service, is: "Do you think today's music is very avant-garde or not?"

No, mostly I don't. Most of the great avant-garde composers are now gone or getting consistently less avant-garde. Many of today's composers seem to look far back, rather than forward, or to integrate world music with classical music.

The early twentieth century was a golden age of avant-garde composers: Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Varese, and others. A few decades later there were the likes of Babbitt, Berio, John Cage, Penderecki, and Stockhausen. But the next generation saw how audiences mostly loathed the new music, and composers began to look back to a "kinder, gentler" music. And this age's tastes are increasingly conservative. Even Penderecki's late works seem increasingly tonal.

I wonder when the next avant-garde wave will hit?

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
            My rough translation, aided by a free Web translation service, is: "Do you think today's music is very avant-garde or not?"

No, mostly I don't. Most of the great avant-garde composers are now gone or getting consistently less avant-garde. Many of today's composers seem to look far back, rather than forward, or to integrate world music with classical music.

The early twentieth century was a golden age of avant-garde composers: Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Varese, and others. A few decades later there were the likes of Babbitt, Berio, John Cage, Penderecki, and Stockhausen. But the next generation saw how audiences mostly loathed the new music, and composers began to look back to a "kinder, gentler" music. And this age's tastes are increasingly conservative. Even Penderecki's late works seem increasingly tonal.

I wonder when the next avant-garde wave will hit?

Maybe when Cages 4'22" was such a hit that someone got a hint. Just kidding, of course. But what else can someone do to "top" what has been done outside the eletronic world of sounds?

Comment

Working...
            X