Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romance op.50

Hello everybody!
    I´m writing a presentation and I really need help. Can anyone tell me the background, the publication and the first performance from Beethoven's Violine Romance F major op. 50? I would appreciate some help.

Originally posted by Schnee98:
    Hello everybody!
    I´m writing a presentation and I really need help. Can anyone tell me the background, the publication and the first performance from Beethoven's Violine Romance F major op. 50? I would appreciate some help.
    I can give you some info tomorrow. It occured to me that the 2 romances would have been logical inclusions on the 'Concertos' page of the Reference site.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I thought so too. But there is nothing under the concertos. Talk to you tomorrow then. Thank´s
      Bye Renate

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        I can give you some info tomorrow. It occured to me that the 2 romances would have been logical inclusions on the 'Concertos' page of the Reference site.

Not a bad idea, I'll get round to it eventually!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Schnee98:
          Hello everybody!
          As I suspected there's nothing I can find about the early performance of this piece. There is some debate as to when it was composed - 1802 or maybe 1798. It was published in 1805 by Kunst und Industrie Comptoir. Some have suggested the two Romances stemmed from slow movements of an earlier violin concerto project that came to nothing, but these pieces do not sound like concerto movements in their final form to me - they seem very self-contained if you compare them to that of the Violin Concerto.

------------------

Comment

As I suspected there's nothing I can find about the early performance of this piece. There is some debate as to when it was composed - 1802 or maybe 1798. It was published in 1805 by Kunst und Industrie Comptoir. Some have suggested the two Romances stemmed from slow movements of an earlier violin concerto project that came to nothing, but these pieces do not sound like concerto movements in their final form to me - they seem very self-contained if you compare them to that of the Violin Concerto.

I read in a book that the pieces could pass as slow movements from concertos. But I disagree like you. The romances don´t sound like from a Violin Concerto. That was the only thing that I found out about the pieces.
            I think it´s really a pitty that there is nearly nothing known about the circumstances and so one. Thank´s a lot anyway!
            Renate

Comment

In november 1798 in Vienna, where an Adagio of Beethoven was performed by Schuppanzigh-a prominent Veinnese violinist, who took part in premieres of many of Beethoven's works- the work performed is thought to be the Romance in F for Voilin and Orchestra, which was eventually published in 1805 as Opus 50; it's autograph score has the same physical characteristics as that of the Opus 19 concerto, and was therefore probably written out about the same time.
              Like the concerto, however, it may be a revision of a Bonn work. Indeed it could well be the missing slow movement of the fragmentary Violin Concerto in C (WoO 5), for they have identical instrumentation of a type largely abandoned in Vienna.
              The Romance has the right title, key, speed, scoring and theme for the missing slow movement. WoO 5, which I think Rod was referring to.
              This is taken from Barry Cooper, on Beethoven. Not a lot of information but I find it fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

In november 1798 in Vienna, where an Adagio of Beethoven was performed by Schuppanzigh-a prominent Veinnese violinist, who took part in premieres of many of Beethoven's works- the work performed is thought to be the Romance in F for Voilin and Orchestra, which was eventually published in 1805 as Opus 50; it's autograph score has the same physical characteristics as that of the Opus 19 concerto, and was therefore probably written out about the same time.
                Like the concerto, however, it may be a revision of a Bonn work. Indeed it could well be the missing slow movement of the fragmentary Violin Concerto in C (WoO 5), for they have identical instrumentation of a type largely abandoned in Vienna.
                The Romance has the right title, key, speed, scoring and theme for the missing slow movement. WoO 5, which I think Rod was referring to.
                This is taken from Barry Cooper, on Beethoven. Not a lot of information but I find it fascinating.

WoO5 was the other concerto I was refering to. I know that in the respects you mention the Romance fits the bill as a slow movement for this piece. If it was I suggest that it had been much altered by the time it reached the form of the Romance, given the nature of the existant slow concerto movements from Beethoven. One must then ask what was B's motivation for producing the other Romance? Did he have a bag full of reject slow movmement material from WoO5?!

------------------

Comment

WoO5 was the other concerto I was refering to. I know that in the respects you mention the Romance fits the bill as a slow movement for this piece. If it was I suggest that it had been much altered by the time it reached the form of the Romance, given the nature of the existant slow concerto movements from Beethoven. One must then ask what was B's motivation for producing the other Romance? Did he have a bag full of reject slow movmement material from WoO5?!

It´s a good point, that it could be the slow movement of the Wo0 5, I never thought about that. Today I was listening to the concerto Wo0 5 again. In the beginning I couldn´t find any similarities but then when I listened a few more times I thought it could pass. From my feelings I think in the opening and in a few parts of the solo part from the violin (like in the first half of the peace and the octave jumps on one point) it could go together with the romance. And it has the same speed as you said already. But as Rod said why did Beethoven compose then the other romance.
                  I don´t know maybe (only joking) he composed the 2 romances for 2 women with them he fell in love and that we don´t know!
                  Anyway thank´s a lot for your effort Rod and Iysander. It´s not much information but still really interessting.

Comment

Working...
                  X