Concerto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerto

Hello, I am new to this board. I finally found a website with like minded Beethoven enthusiasts. In case you're wondering, I am 16 years old. It is very, very difficult to find people of my own age, who have an interest in, let alone an interest in classical music. Because I am from the U.S., my peers are influenced primarily by Rap and various Pop. Anyways...

My question:
    The Triple Concerto is my favorite Beethoven work - does anyone else put the Triple Concerto in their top list of works to listen to? Any thoughts or favorite recordings of the Triple Concerto? My favorite is with Eugene Ormandy leading the Philadelphia Orchestra, Isaac Stern at the Violin, Leonard Rose on the Cello, and Eugene Istomin at the piano.

Welcome to the boards. I too found it difficult to find peers who shared my love of classical music at 16.

Anyway, I would not say the Triple Concerto is my favorite Beethoven work (it is so hard to choose when Beethoven's output was so consistently excellent). It's up there, though. The recording you mentioned is also my favorite recording of the piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Avner:

My question:
      The Triple Concerto is my favorite Beethoven work - does anyone else put the Triple Concerto in their top list of works to listen to? Any thoughts or favorite recordings of the Triple Concerto? My favorite is with Eugene Ormandy leading the Philadelphia Orchestra, Isaac Stern at the Violin, Leonard Rose on the Cello, and Eugene Istomin at the piano.
      I've always been fond of the triple concerto - it is such a joyful piece and just thinking about it puts me in a good mood! I find it impossible to have a 'favourite' with Beethoven or any other composer come to that. Here are several recordings of the triple concerto which I have enjoyed -

Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra - Kurt Massur/Beaux Arts Trio

Oistrakh, Rostropovich, Richter, Karajan/BPO )

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hello, I am new to this board. I finally found a website with like minded Beethoven enthusiasts. In case you're wondering, I am 16 years old. It is very, very difficult to find people of my own age, who have an interest in, let alone an interest in classical music. Because I am from the U.S., my peers are influenced primarily by Rap and various Pop. Anyways...

My question:
        Well, I am quite fond of that piece also, although the competition is fierce in the "Favorite" category! My favorite recording is the one on EMI with Oistrakh, Rostropovich and Richter.
        One of the things I like about this piece is that, in my mind, it combines a couple of my favorite forms; the piano trio and the concerto. I always think that when I listen to it, it could be a piano trio being played there, without the orchestra at all. And a pretty good one too. Then of course, there is the back and forth with the orchestra like a concerto grosso. There are many multiple instrument concertos around, but this one is clearly the most interesting, IMHO.
        Regards, Gurn
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

My question:

Welcome! When I was 16 there were not too many Beethoven enthusiasts around me, nor for that matter many that cared for Classical Music. But I will say that the Triple Concerto was one of the top compositions when I was that age. Now it is among many more that I consider my "favorite". There are simply too many to choose from and my favorite depends on my mood at the time.

Comment

Like peter, I too have the Triple Concerto by the Beaux Arts Trio,and also Beethovens Piano Trios.
            Another recording I have of the Triple Concerto is coupled with the Choral Fantasia,Opus 80. by the Dresdner Philharmonie. Is also one of my favourites. The Chorus is out of this world.

I would like also to mention here, Beethoven's Late String Quartets, by the Lindsay String Quartet. They are so profoundly beautiful, I would say they are almost "Holy". Eveything Beethoven created is so Miraculously beautiful. They can never be surpassed.

Comment

The Triple Concerto has always been one of my favourites as well. Although, like everyone else has mentioned, it's awfully difficult to have a 'favourite' where Beethoven is concerned. All of his music is so special and each one has it's own individualism. They're all a joy to listen to. I, too, had trouble with my peers at your age and even younger was I when I fell in love with classical music and Beethoven. Even when I started working my co-workers never seemed to understand my love of this music and of Beethoven as they seem to just like 'what's out there at the moment' and was always surprised that I liked this type of music at such a young age but I wouldn't change my love of it for anything, it brings me too much pleasure in my life.

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited January 20, 2003).]
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

My question:
                Sure. One of the most beautiful of Beethoven's concertos, specially the opening allegro, togheter with the Op.15, Op.19, and the Emperor.
                The recording I have is with the Trio Fontenay and the Philharmonia Orchestra under Eliahu Inbal.

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                  Sure. One of the most beautiful of Beethoven's concertos, specially the opening allegro, togheter with the Op.15, Op.19, and the Emperor.
                  The recording I have is with the Trio Fontenay and the Philharmonia Orchestra under Eliahu Inbal.
                  I would have said the Violin concerto and the 4th piano concerto were the most beautiful.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    I've always been fond of the triple concerto - it is such a joyful piece and just thinking about it puts me in a good mood! I find it impossible to have a 'favourite' with Beethoven or any other composer come to that. Here are several recordings of the triple concerto which I have enjoyed

It's even more joyfull when you hear it live. The crowd went wild with applause when I went to see it at the Queen Elizabeth Hall some years back. Even the performers and the orchestra were all smiling!

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 21, 2003).]
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I started likeing [classical] music at the age of 15 and when I was 16 I bought my first cd. Today I´m 18 and I have over 220 cds. One of my favorites of this amazing concerto is one that also became a video(yet I can´t find it anywhere I look) and the performance is as amazing as the recording quality, you should try to find this, for it has also the Choral Fantasy. It´s Berliner Philarmoniker with Itzhak Perlman (if I recall right), Yo-yo Ma and Daniel Baremboin (who also conducts).

I highly recommend this one.
                      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Please note that for many years this piece has been regarded by the musical establishment as a 'poor relation' of Beethoven's other concertos, i.e. not up to the standard of the others. I've lost count of the number of critical comments I've read about the Triple (I prefer to call it a 'trio concerto'), even in the CD liner notes of recordings of the piece! Of course in reality this is nonsence, but taste and good judgement are not typical pre-requisits of music scholars.

My current recording is on the DHM label with Paul Badura-Skoda on the fortepiano, Anner Bylsma on cello, have forgot the violinist (all period instruments here), coupled with the 4th fp concerto.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 21, 2003).]
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                          It's even more joyfull when you hear it live. The crowd went wild with applause when I went to see it at the Queen Elizabeth Hall some years back. Even the performers and the orchestra were all smiling!

How can you not smile with music like that?

Comment

I am listening to the fourth Piano Concerto for my first time right now... it is simply divine. I am not a believer of the supernatural, however, I believe Beethoven had something almost Godly... almost. He just keeps producing quality every piece of his I discover. How?????? Its awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                              I started likeing [classical] music at the age of 15 and when I was 16 I bought my first cd. Today I´m 18 and I have over 220 cds. One of my favorites of this amazing concerto is one that also became a video(yet I can´t find it anywhere I look) and the performance is as amazing as the recording quality, you should try to find this, for it has also the Choral Fantasy. It´s Berliner Philarmoniker with Itzhak Perlman (if I recall right), Yo-yo Ma and Daniel Baremboin (who also conducts).

I highly recommend this one.
                              You are right about the video, I saw it on Arts & Entertainment (Breakfast With the Arts) a couple of years ago and it was splendid. It was also the first time I heard the Choral Fantasy, and much to my surprise, I found it quite enjoyable. Unfortunately it surprised me so much that I was unable to get a blank tape in the recorder in timely fashion, and have not found it for sale since then! ;-(( Does anyone know for sure that this is the same performance that the CD (EMI?) is?
                              Regards, Gurn

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited January 21, 2003).]
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X