Boulez Concert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boulez Concert

I saw a PBS program last night with Pierre Boulez conducting the Berlin Philharmonic in works by Debussy, Stravinsky, Bartok and himself. Others may want to watch for it in their listings. My difficulties with modern music must be ebbing away, because I found myself enjoying all of it. Except that by the middle of the Bartok, the last work, I was getting tied of the dissonance and longing for some good old tonic-dominant- etc. harmony, or, better yet, the end. But it was good. The Debussy '3 Nocturnes' was superb and moving, and earned a standing ovation from the audience. I will have to start paying some attention to that composer. Of course he is not dissonant. The Boulez piece was quite original and not bad. All in all a worthwhile program.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 26, 2003).]
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Originally posted by Chaszz:
    My difficulties with modern music must be ebbing away...
    Well, that's the positive way of looking at it...

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
      I saw a PBS program last night with Pierre Boulez conducting the Berlin Philharmonic in works by Debussy, Stravinsky, Bartok and himself. Others may want to watch for it in their listings. My difficulties with modern music must be ebbing away, because I found myself enjoying all of it. Except that by the middle of the Bartok, the last work, I was getting tied of the dissonance and longing for some good old tonic-dominant- etc. harmony, or, better yet, the end. But it was good. The Debussy '3 Nocturnes' was superb and moving, and earned a standing ovation from the audience. I will have to start paying some attention to that composer. Of course he is not dissonant. The Boulez piece was quite original and not bad. All in all a worthwhile program.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 26, 2003).]
      Which Bartok piece was performed? I am a big fan of Bartok (for me the 3 B's might be Bach, Beethoven, and Bartok--or Bruckner as a substitute).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
        Which Bartok piece was performed? I am a big fan of Bartok (for me the 3 B's might be Bach, Beethoven, and Bartok--or Bruckner as a substitute).
        I'm sorry, I did not catch the title, and I can't find the listing any longer on the web anywhere, except for a listing with composers' names only.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
        X