Beethoven's Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Last Night

"B's last night" is the title of a rock-metal record released by Trans-Siberian Orchestra a German Band 2 years ago under SPV label. It's quite rare (at least here in Greece) but there is the www.trans-siberian.com for more information. U can also find many of the tracks on the Internet (Win MX).

It's realy awesome, combining many well known melodies of B's with traditional heavy metal sound (drums, electric guitars etc.)

Any B lover with an open mind would love this. Moreover I'd like to suggest listening this record to all classic music lovers who cant bear the thought of heavy metal being compared or connected in any way with classical music (and B in particular)

Originally posted by Jimmas_gr:
    "B's last night"

Any B lover with an open mind would love this. Moreover I'd like to suggest listening this record to all classic music lovers who cant bear the thought of heavy metal being compared or connected in any way with classical music (and B in particular)
    But why would I want to listen?I don't like Heavy metal ,there is no comparison or connection.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
      But why would I want to listen?I don't like Heavy metal ,there is no comparison or connection.
      I've seen this recording in the Classical Music department of a CD store, though I haven't been tempted to buy it. I can mention Deep Purple also made use of a part of the 9th Symphony in their concerts (the instrumental fugue from the finale). I think they used a recording of it as an intro to one of their songs.

If one can say any part of the popular music scence bore any resemblance to the CM scene I would say is was Hard Rock. It is a highly instrumental form by pop standards, with an emphasis on instrumental virtuosity. And of course you've heard of 'Rock Operas'. Not that I am saying they are one and the same, but certain factors are similar.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Everyone has the right to his "likes" and "dislikes". The point is giving sth a real try before you reject it. Many people I know reject classic music without ever realy listening to it or because they had a traumatic experience with this gerne. Imagine going to your first clasic concert and listen for example all the preludes and fuges in Bach's Well Tempered Clavier - that would be cruel. The same goes for Metal.

By the way this album doesn't just use some of B's themes. There is an imaginary plot about B's last night among the living. It's best track uses the Pathetique's first movement music with briliant lyrics sang over it. Take a look at their site.

Comment

Everyone has the right to his "likes" and "dislikes". The point is giving sth a real try before you reject it. Many people I know reject classic music without ever realy listening to it or because they had a traumatic experience with this gerne. Imagine going to your first clasic concert and listen for example all the preludes and fuges in Bach's Well Tempered Clavier - that would be cruel. The same goes for Metal.

By the way this album doesn't just use some of B's themes. There is an imaginary plot about B's last night among the living. It's best track uses the Pathetique's first movement music with briliant lyrics sang over it. Take a look at their site.
          Well, when I want to hear rock I'll put on a real rock album, when I want to hear Beethoven I'll put on a real Beethoven cd. To be honest I've never been a fan of mixing the two. Though there have been various attempts by 'CM' composers to adapt words to fit Beethoven's instrumental music. The slow movements of the moonlight and 7th symphony spring to mind - the latter I have heard and it is awful beyond belief.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            The slow movements of the moonlight and 7th symphony spring to mind - the latter I have heard and it is awful beyond belief.
            Usually they are not so good, I agree, but Billy Joel made excellent use of the former in a song called "This Night."

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              Usually they are not so good, I agree, but Billy Joel made excellent use of the former in a song called "This Night."
              I'd like to hear some band - perhaps a heavy metal one - put the fast (third) movement of the Moonlight to words. THAT would be something to hear!

- Chaszz

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                I'd like to hear some band - perhaps a heavy metal one - put the fast (third) movement of the Moonlight to words. THAT would be something to hear!

- Chaszz
                Hmmmm...that probably would be beyond even the virtuoso Swingle Singers!

Seriously, I have nothing against this metal band promoting LvB's music. Perhaps, just perhaps, some industrial/alternative/whatever-the-latest-label-is fan who never before heard Beethoven may decide to check out classical music. We need all the converts we can get!

Comment

This album is not about mixing. It's sth like a rock-metal opera with Beethoven on his last night having the lead part. Most of its music is original, though in the spirit of the maestro. Other parts in this "play" include B's so called Immortal Beloved, Mephistofelis, and the fantasm of Mozart himself!!!

I've heard many other attempts to combine B's music with modern sound and they dont seem to work. Well, having played half of his piano sonatas, and having study most of his symphonies I can tell you this is different.

Besides, good rock music needs all the converts it can get too. And as the saying goes brains are somewhat like parasuits: they work better when they're open :-)

Comment

Besides, good rock music needs all the converts it can get too. And as the saying goes brains are somewhat like parasuits: they work better when they're open :-) [/B]
                    Just because I don't like rock music ,good or otherwise,does not ,I hope make me closed minded does it? I've heard Rock I don't enjoy it ,so why should I torture myself?
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I have also heard words sung to the slow movement (2nd) of the 7th Symphony also different words, not the original words, sung to the 'Ode to Joy' part of the 9th Symphony. The piece was entitled 'Words'. It was sung more like a ballad. That was quite pretty, actually.

Joy
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:

- Chaszz

You're right, that would be really something. That 3rd movement is amazing, isn't it?

Joy

'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Classical music is a transverbal medium where words are simply beside the point exept where the composer either created a tableau incorporating language which we call Opera or had a special reason for adding words as Beethoven did in the 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

Classical music is a transverbal medium where words are simply beside the point exept where the composer either created a tableau incorporating language which we call Opera or had a special reason for adding words as Beethoven did in the 9th.

And in the art songs, perhaps the popular music of the day, the music itself played as important (if not more in some cases) as the text. And they were artistic in nature, too.

Comment

I never said that B's music actualy needs words.. it's great just as it is. Neither did I mean to sound offensive.
                              It's just that soooo many people in the classical gerne have the wrong impression that rock is all about hairy/dirty/mindless kids headbanging themselves to death and that, just isnt the case
                              The same goes for the stereotype of dull/sleepy/bored old men sitting an empty concert hall listening to boring music.

Regardless, this is a great album. I cant force anyone to buy it, and since I dont get any profit-sharing deal I rest my case. :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X