Some info on Orchestra size please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some info on Orchestra size please

I didn't want this to go unseen down in the other thread and would greatly appreciate a couple answers. Can anyone date this quote ?

"I never wrote noisy music. For my instrumental works I need an orchestra of about sixty good musicians. I am convinced that only such a number can bring out the quickly changing graduations in performance."

(Reported by Schindler.)

I have also seen a couple variations of orchestra size at the premiere of the 9th. I've seen mentions of normal wind pairs, of doubled winds, even of quadrupled winds.
    Is the actual number of musicians known ? If so what is it ? Was that number specified by Beethoven or was it just what the local band had to offer ?

One last question. If the above quote specifying an orchestra of 60 can be dated early in B's career are there any later quotes that would contradict this one ? Did he change later in his career, or is this quote made late in life looking back.

Thanks so much for the help.

Steve

www.mozartforum.com

Well if it was reported by Schindler it must have been after 1814 when the two became acquainted.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X