Op.31 no.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    This fp you heard, was it a live performance or a recording?
    Rod

It was a recording and I have to say it seriously put me off fp's until our lively discussions last year in the 'other place'!

It would be nice if performers didn't always record B's sonatas on Steinways - how about Bosendorfer or Bluthner, both more suited to the drawing room as B intended - I think they have a more mellow and intimate sound.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      It was a recording and I have to say it seriously put me off fp's until our lively discussions last year in the 'other place'!

It would be nice if performers didn't always record B's sonatas on Steinways - how about Bosendorfer or Bluthner, both more suited to the drawing room as B intended - I think they have a more mellow and intimate sound.
      In the past I've said much the same myself about Bosendorfers, but I don't think I've heard a Bluthner. I've only got one recording of B music on a Bosendorfer. It seems only Steinway can satisfy the average pro these days? I've got fp recordings by at least 10 different Viennese makes alone, then there are the German, Czech and English models to add.

Rod

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

It stands to reason to me - why should different composers piano music be performed solely on Steinways ? - Chopin for example was known to favour French makes, and Mozart's works are a world apart from Liszt, yet they are performed on the same instrument. There are many other fine makes of modern pianos which I think deserve to be heard more in public and on recordings.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          It stands to reason to me - why should different composers piano music be performed solely on Steinways ? - Chopin for example was known to favour French makes, and Mozart's works are a world apart from Liszt, yet they are performed on the same instrument. There are many other fine makes of modern pianos which I think deserve to be heard more in public and on recordings.

Perhaps Steinway will one day come up with a five octave, all wooden model with simple action and small leather covered hammers for Mozart performers? Perhaps one day Hell will freeze over!

Rod

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
          X