• Show
Clear All

Rare Page - 7 Variations on "God Save The King"

Now available to members at
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Very nice - I have been looking forward to hearing this recording of it.

Comment

Sounds a lot like 'Our Country Tis of Thee!'
      But seriously, I really enjoyed this and knowing it was played on Beethoven's Broadwood makes it even more special. He did correspond and was in contact with the English often. In a Conversation book of April 1819, Oliva jotted down, Those Englishmen only talk about your coming to England. They maintain that you earn enough money in one winter in England, Scotland, and Ireland, that you could live on the interest for the rest of your life.'
      Sounds like a great proposition.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Sounds a lot like 'Our Country Tis of Thee!'

Joy
        It is the same tune pinched by the Americans in 1832! It has its origins in 16th century dance music and was first published as a national song in 1744, arranged by Thomas Arne in 1745.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          It is the same tune pinched by the Americans in 1832! It has its origins in 16th century dance music and was first published as a national song in 1744, arranged by Thomas Arne in 1745.

Thanks for the history lesson. I wasn't aware of all the dates or origin. But I was aware of the 'pinch!' I was being a bit 'cheeky!'

Joy
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Thanks for the history lesson. I wasn't aware of all the dates or origin. But I was aware of the 'pinch!' I was being a bit 'cheeky!'

Joy
            Actually to be fair it wasn't only the Americans! Austria first used it in 1782 (later replaced of course with Haydn's Emperor's Hymn). Switzerland and many of the German states also used it as their national anthem in the 19th century.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              Now available to members at
              www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

Easily the best perforance of this piece I have heard, aided significantly of course by the use of the fortepiano, which has a somewhat sharper tone than was typical of the English pianos, which have a tendancy towards softness especially in the mid range (I presume the result of its time in the Viennese repair shops). My Brendel recording sounds lame in comparison.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I really enjoyed this piece. Being an American I too was singing along with "My country tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing"...

Beethoven wrote in his diary, "I must show the English a little what a blessing they have in God Save the King."

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                  I really enjoyed this piece. Being an American I too was singing along with "My country tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing"...

Beethoven wrote in his diary, "I must show the English a little what a blessing they have in God Save the King."
                  When did he write this Andrea? The tune itself is adequate, but Beethoven could turn lead into gold musically. The words are laughable in a modern context (on the other hand it is about bashing the Scotch rebels...). Jerusalem is the best national tune from England.

The best tune from Beethoven for this purpose I suggest would be the opening theme from the overture 'Consecration of the House'. It has a suitably broad grandure about it.

------------------

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod:
                    Jerusalem is the best national tune from England.

I prefer Holst's 'I vow to thee my country' or dare I say it Elgar's pomp and circumstance no.1 - mind you I'd change the words which Elgar also loathed.

The best tune from Beethoven for this purpose I suggest would be the opening theme from the overture 'Consecration of the House'. It has a suitably broad grandure about it.

Well the theme of Ode to Joy is of course alreay used as the European National Anthem, I think it more effective than that from the overture would be.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod:
                      [B] When did he write this Andrea? The tune itself is adequate, but Beethoven could turn lead into gold musically. The words are laughable in a modern context (on the other hand it is about bashing the Scotch rebels...). Jerusalem is the best national tune from England.

Rod, I believe it was written in 1813. I'm not sure as to the exact date though.

Comment

1¼ ±??riginally posted by Peter:
                        Originally posted by Rod:
                        Jerusalem is the best national tune from England.

I prefer Holst's 'I vow to thee my country' or dare I say it Elgar's pomp and circumstance no.1 - mind you I'd change the words which Elgar also loathed.

Well the theme of Ode to Joy is of course alreay used as the European National Anthem, I think it more effective than that from the overture would be.
                        I disagree. I think the overture would be at least as effective as the Ode from what I have heard. The overture theme allows itself nicely to words and repetition as well I think.

The 'I vow to thee' tune in itself sounds too jingoistic to my ears. Forget Elgar all together!

------------------

Comment

Wonderful recording of a wonderful work! That piano has, to me, a very haunting sound to it and I am enjoying the sound of it right now. Thanks for posting that!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                            Wonderful recording of a wonderful work! That piano has, to me, a very haunting sound to it and I am enjoying the sound of it right now. Thanks for posting that!
                            The minor key variation sounds especially nice in this recording. And the the more noisy passages sound more natural compared to the modern piano, where the pianist can go over the top volume-wise. If Tan had used a Graf or a Streicher instrument I assure you the colours would have been even more enticing!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited February 19, 2003).]

Comment

Bravo!
                              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
                              X