Love that 9th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love that 9th

I am so sorry I haven't posted for a while, but I have been reading many of the posts with great interest.

I just wanted to share, with some of the few I can share with, that I heard the 9th Symphony, live in Seattle. You haven't lived until you've seen and heard such a huge chorus in person. The tempo was mostly to my satisfaction. The 8th was performed first, which was lovely, but I thought listening to the 9th so late was a rather emotional experience for that time of night. It's an hour drive home and barely a word was spoken, such was my daze Fantastic!
    Suz

[This message has been edited by Suzie (edited February 09, 2003).]

Suzie, sounded like a great concert! I saw the 9th performed live for the first time last summer, and it was an unbelievable experience. It really does take your breath away!

Comment

If you think hearing it is wonderful, try playing in it, as I have! Like most music, it sounds even better from the middle of the orchestra. Unfortunately I've only had the opportunity once.

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
        If you think hearing it is wonderful, try playing in it, as I have! Like most music, it sounds even better from the middle of the orchestra. Unfortunately I've only had the opportunity once.
        What instrument do you play John?
        What instrument do you play

Comment

I wish I could play. Maybe someday? I sing like crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:
            What instrument do you play John?
            What instrument do you play
            The oboe. When I played the Ninth I was playing second oboe in the Boulder (Colorado) Philharmonic Orchestra. But in this symphony the second player for each section has nearly as much to do as the first. The first movement, in particular, is a marvel for demanding the utmost concentration for all players.

Comment

Don't know where else to post this one, but I bought an old recording of the 9th, 1946.
              By Arturo Toscanini conducts the Orchestra of La Scala. Milan.
              Also on this CD is Egmont Overture. Op.15.

It sounds a bit crackly in places but overall it is listenable.
              I guess it is more of a collectors piece.

Has anyone else heard this recording?

Comment

The oboe. When I played the Ninth I was playing second oboe in the Boulder (Colorado) Philharmonic Orchestra. But in this symphony the second player for each section has nearly as much to do as the first. The first movement, in particular, is a marvel for demanding the utmost concentration for all players.
                Wow. Did you know Beth Allen? She was principle flutist for the Boulder Philharmonic up until a few years ago. She is my husband's cousin. I've meet her several times and have heard play only in church. She inspired my daughter to start playing the flute when she was 8. She is 11 now and plays very well.

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
                  Wow. Did you know Beth Allen? She was principle flutist for the Boulder Philharmonic up until a few years ago. She is my husband's cousin. I've meet her several times and have heard play only in church. She inspired my daughter to start playing the flute when she was 8. She is 11 now and plays very well.

I forgot to mention, I just went to a preformance of the 9th symphony two weeks ago. If was awesome! My heart was pounding in the finale.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

Don't know where else to post this one, but I bought an old recording of the 9th, 1946.
                    By Arturo Toscanini conducts the Orchestra of La Scala. Milan.
                    Also on this CD is Egmont Overture. Op.15.

It sounds a bit crackly in places but overall it is listenable.
                    I guess it is more of a collectors piece.

Has anyone else heard this recording?

I checked my Toscanini recording and it is the '52 recording. Sorry.

Comment

I am an amateur Beethoven enthusiast! Without a doubt Beethoven's 9th Symphony is the most glorious piece of music I have ever heard in my entire short life (I am just 15). I have had the privilege of playing the contrabassoon part for the finale (I play all woodwind instruments) and, although the contrabassoon part isn't particularly melodic, it was an immensely enjoyable experience and I was so delirious that by the finale I was in tears! Never has a piece of music affected me so much!

Comment

Working...
                      X