Adelaide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adelaide

I am working on this song as a voice lesson.
    I would like to know something about its
    origin. Who was it written about or rather
    who is this person? What context does it
    take place?

Originally posted by Carol Vogt:
    I am working on this song as a voice lesson.
    I would like to know something about its
    origin. Who was it written about or rather
    who is this person? What context does it
    take place?

Beethoven composed 'Adelaide' as a leading young composer and pianist in Vienna when he was about 24 years of age, from the text of Frierich von Matthisson's poem.
    Ludwig told Matthisson;- "I dedicated to you a work which welled forth so warmly from my heart".
    Beethoven derived particular pleasure from cimposing this song, as he told the poet when he sent him a dedicatory copy in 1800; and the numerous sketches indicate that he continued working intermittently on it for unusually a long time during 1794-5, and perhaps 1796. In his setting, Beethoven overrides the straightforward structure of the poem and creates a tripartite form, in which the first two parts function as the exposition and development of a sonata form, while the third part is at a faster tempo and builds up to a grand climax before dying away to nothing.
    The poet's idea of seeing his beloved everywhere is mirrored by an all-embracing musical setting quite different from normal Lieder period. Whether Beethoven had any particular beloved in mind who inspired 'Adelaide' is unknown, as his relationships with women at this date are lacking in detail.
    According to Wegeler, Ludwig was always involved in some love affair.

'Adelaide' is a long song, 181 bars.
    The setting has always been popular with singers, since it demands a certain virtuosity; but it's virtues are formal and musical rather than poetical.

I hope this is a little way helpful.
    Lysander.

Comment

Apologies for the typographical errors above. I have noticed after submitting. On my way to work.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

Apologies for the typographical errors above. I have noticed after submitting. On my way to work.
        You can edit you posts by pressing the appropriate icon next to the reply button. There are so many typos in my posts I don't have the time to correct them all, even when I do I often end up inserting new typos during the correction!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X