Wellington's Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    I supposed this is a work of the stage that more than usual requires a live performance to get the full effect. I have a good recording of the Battle that is true to the score but has other sound effects (horses etc) added to complete the effect, perhaps you would like to hear it?

Rod, I would very much like to listen to your recording of the Battle symphony.

I am having a problem getting into your rare Beethoven page.
    I have typed in my password, then clicked onto that tacky bust of Beethoven. Then nothing happens. My search engine doesn't come up with it.
    Can you help please?

A damsel in distress.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

I have typed in my password, then clicked onto that tacky bust of Beethoven. Then nothing happens. My search engine doesn't come up with it.
      Can you help please?

A damsel in distress.
      Well, I've just tried the 'tacky' bust link (don't think Peter will like that!) and it works fine. Keep trying. There will be a new piece at the page tomorrow.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited February 17, 2003).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:
        Rod, I would very much like to listen to your recording of the Battle symphony.

Can you help please?

A damsel in distress.
        Tacky bust indeed!!!!!!!! - Make sure you type in your password all in lower case. Let me know if you still have problems.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Here is the Battle MP3 as promised from Marriner and the ASMF. (Phillips 426 239-2). Enjoy...

Op91.mp3

Any comments welcome.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            Tacky bust indeed!!!!!!!! - Make sure you type in your password all in lower case. Let me know if you still have problems.
            Surely if she is seeing the tacky bust, she is getting there correctly.

What browser are you using, lysander?

Comment

Here is the Battle MP3 as promised from Marriner and the ASMF. (Phillips 426 239-2). Enjoy...

Op91.mp3

Any comments welcome.

Wow, Rod, very interesting, to say the least. I've never heard anything like this recorded version before. I have seen it performed live four times with soldiers, cannons, gunfire and fireworks. I would like to have heard the complete Battle Symphony performed here but I did enjoy it. This piece took quite awhile to download though.

I had to play it a couple of times to get the full scope of it. The birds and other animal sounds added to the realness. The one thing I had a problem with was the sound of the horses galloping along on what sounded like cement instead of a dirt road. This battle was fought on dirt and grass not the streets of a modern day city. Despite this I found this to be an interesting performance. It almost felt that you could see what was happening, like in a film.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                Surely if she is seeing the tacky bust, she is getting there correctly.

What browser are you using, lysander?
                Good point, as Captain Mainwaring would say 'I was waiting to see who'd spot that'!

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Op91.mp3

Any comments welcome.

Thanks for posting that! Very interesting. The recording I have is doubled with Lizst's "Battle of the Huns" and "Hungarian March to the Assault", conducted by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinatti Symphony Orchestra. I will have to listen to it again--it's only had one listen so far. I don't think I've ever heard this with "realistic" cannons before.

Comment

Very good recording of this piece. I have never heard such realistic cannons or sound effects either. Love the horses 'clip clop'.
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      Very good recording of this piece. I have never heard such realistic cannons or sound effects either. Love the horses 'clip clop'.
                      I like it when you hear the roar from the soldiers charging at the beginning of the cannon fire.

------------------

Comment

Yes, very good. The entire production is the best I've heard to date. Thanks for posting it.

Joy

Comment

Sounds a bit like "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                            Sounds a bit like "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" to me.
                            Of course it does because it is the same tune. But the French is the original.

------------------

Comment

This tune must be very old then. It originated in France then? I suppose 'For His a Jolly Good Fellow' the Engish words came much later. I hadn't realized this tune was so old either until I heard this piece many years ago, or, for that matter, that it had different origins.

Joy

Comment

Impressive! And the other listeners are right: the cannon are as impressive as I've ever heard them.

So, are the bird songs scored in the symphony? If so, then Respighi got his idea for the Pines of Rome from a great source!

Comment

Working...
                                X