Wellington's Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wellington's Victory

What was Beethoven's reaction to the great success of Wellington's Victory? Did he ever admit that the piece was a trifle?

Originally posted by chopithoven:
    What was Beethoven's reaction to the great success of Wellington's Victory? Did he ever admit that the piece was a trifle?
    Well he was certainly interested in piece enough to go to court over it's ownership. Of course his motivation here would have been a financial one after its initial success. I don't think I've read a critical assessment of its musical worth from B himself, but I'll have a look into it.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

A little history of the piece. The story of the 'Battle' Symphony is tied up with Malzel. He wanted to interest Beethoven into composing a battle symphony for a new machine he called the 'Panharmonicon'. Beethoven set to work on the symphony. Beethoven did arrange the work for orchestra later. It was first performed on Dec. 8, 1813
      and again on Dec. 12th. But then Malzel and Beethoven had a quarrel and Beethoven refused to return the score to Malzel resulting in a lawsuit. It's all very complicated but it was settled out of court in 1817.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Inspired by his national Germanic pride, Beethoven cherished the idea of placing an important work "on the altar of our Fatherland".

From the above quote, It seems he was very proud of his Battle Symphony, and was not regarded as a mere trifle.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

Inspired by his national Germanic pride, Beethoven cherished the idea of placing an important work "on the altar of our Fatherland".

From the above quote, It seems he was very proud of his Battle Symphony, and was not regarded as a mere trifle.

I presume this came from Schindler? S also comments about the direction of this piece, which he said made that of Fidelio look easy, not surprising considering the 'cannon fire' and 'musket volleys' were all scored! And there must have been plenty going on on stage. Certainly it was no trifle for the conductor.

------------------

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              I presume this came from Schindler? S also comments about the direction of this piece, which he said made that of Fidelio look easy, not surprising considering the 'cannon fire' and 'musket volleys' were all scored! And there must have been plenty going on on stage. Certainly it was no trifle for the conductor.

Comment

I believe Ludwig's eccentric gestures while conducting were colourful to witness.

It was reported by Spohr?, that during a performance of the Choral Fantasia at the Akademie concert 22nd Dec. 1808, when the clarinetist inadvertently took a repeat of eight bars, Ludwig shouted abuse at the orchestra and replayed the passage.

Comment

And let us not forget abut Beethoven's feelings towards Napoleon at this time!

Comment

On the other hand, here's a Beethoven quote re Wellington's Victory from notes for one of my recordings of the Seventh Symphony: "Certainly one writes most pleasingly when one writes for the public; also one writes quickly." This remark seems to indicate LvB thought there was more style than substance in this piece.

Comment

Wellington's Victory (Battle Symphony)op.91 has always been one of my favorites from Beethoven. Back in the mid 1970s when I was an usher at the Hollywood Bowl, the Los Angeles Philharmonic performed this piece with employees dressed in full Napoleanic War costumes; there was Napolean and his soldiers and Wellington and his soldiers. A battle would be fought along and on a special stage set up in front of the orchestra. Cannons firing and to top it all off there would be fireworks galore. A display I am sure that both Beethoven and Mälzel would be proud of.

Speaking of Mälzel, here's a bit on him and this piece:

Mälzel was quite a character. He and his brothers actually made Beethoven 4 ear trumpets at different times in his life. When Mälzel invented his panharmonicon he saw its commercial potential as an entertainment gimmick. So when Mälzel saw Wellinton's victory over Napoleon as an exploitable event, he approached Beethoven to help him and compose a battle symphony for his invention. Beethoven agreed but Mälzel had a big hand in designing it. Moscheles, a witness to the origin and progress of this work, said that Mälzel wrote all the drum-marches and the trumpet flourishes of the French and English armies; he even gave Beethoven hints like how he should depict the horrors of war and arrange "God Save the King" as an effect representing the jubilent crowds.

Mälzel needed money to go to England so he suggested to Beethoven that a charity concert be held for the soldiers wounded at the Battle of Hanau. He anticipated a success and that this would lead to more concerts, with the profits being divided between them. Beethoven needed the money too and then arranged to rewrite the Battle Sym. for orchestra and then suggested that his yet unheard 7th sym. be included in the programme as well. This concert was fixed for 8 Dec. 1813 and it brought Beethoven at last popular fame. Mälzel promoted this concert as an anticipated celebrity event. Schuppanzigh led the violins, Spohr was second violin, Dragonetti led the double-basses, Romberg led the bassoons, Salieri directed the battle percussion, Meyerbeer and Hummel played the drums, Moscheles played the cymbals, and Beethoven conducted.

Now that must have been a concert to see...

Comment

I believe Ludwig's eccentric gestures while conducting were colourful to witness.

It was reported by Spohr?, that during a performance of the Choral Fantasia at the Akademie concert 22nd Dec. 1808, when the clarinetist inadvertently took a repeat of eight bars, Ludwig shouted abuse at the orchestra and replayed the passage.

The well known review in the AmZ of the concert containing the 7th and Battle Symhony is more quoted in regard to the 7th (e.g. the demanded repetition of the 'andante' etc), but it's the comments about the Battle in the same article that I find rather more interesting:

"the effect, event the illusion is quite extraordinary, and leads one to conclude without hesitation that there is no work equal to it in the whole realm of tone painting"

Beethoven wrote a response of thanks that was due to be published in the local press (but never was for whatever reason), in this he describes the Battle symphony as a one of his 'great' works. I suppose this settles the question.

------------------

Comment

I supposed this is a work of the stage that more than usual requires a live performance to get the full effect. I have a good recording of the Battle that is true to the score but has other sound effects (horses etc) added to complete the effect, perhaps you would like to hear it?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                            I supposed this is a work of the stage that more than usual requires a live performance to get the full effect. I have a good recording of the Battle that is true to the score but has other sound effects (horses etc) added to complete the effect, perhaps you would like to hear it?

Rod,I would love to hear your recording of the Battle Symphony. The version that I have is with the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Herbert von Karajan from 1969. This CD also includes the music from Egmont and 7 marches. This CD is a favorite of mine and it really cheers me up when I'm in a bummer mood.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                              Rod,I would love to hear your recording of the Battle Symphony. The version that I have is with the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Herbert von Karajan from 1969. This CD also includes the music from Egmont and 7 marches. This CD is a favorite of mine and it really cheers me up when I'm in a bummer mood.

Ok I'll upload the battle section soon at this chain. It's by Marriner and the Academy of St Martin in the Fields. Not my favourite conductor or orchestra but never mind, the battle is good but the following symphony is not so hot. The famous Mercury lable recording is better for the symphony.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X