Music for Mother?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music for Mother?

Did Beethoven ever dedicate any music to his mother or grandmother? He was said to have never forgotten the way his mother died, so I'm sure that was a great influence on his music and that may have prompted him to compose in her name.

Originally posted by MissB:
    Did Beethoven ever dedicate any music to his mother or grandmother? He was said to have never forgotten the way his mother died, so I'm sure that was a great influence on his music and that may have prompted him to compose in her name.
    Though you are right that Beethoven had fond feelings for his mother, I don't recall any dedication or other connection with a piece of music relating specifically to her.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Though you are right that Beethoven had fond feelings for his mother, I don't recall any dedication or other connection with a piece of music relating specifically to her.

Thanks for the confirmation ~ I'm writing a paper about how Beethoven was influenced by events and ppl in his life, and wanted to include any examples of music if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by MissB:
        It has just occured to me that that their IS a family connection with one of B's pieces, namely the first 'Razumovsky' Quartet. I believe upon the sketches of the slow movement (Adagio molto e mesto) he wrote "A weeping willow or acacia tree on my brother's grave." There has been much debate about which brother this refers to at that time, dead or alive!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited February 19, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          It has just occured to me that that their IS a family connection with one of B's pieces, namely the first 'Razumovsky' Quartet. I believe upon the sketches of the slow movement (Adagio molto e mesto) he wrote "A weeping willow or acacia tree on my brother's grave." There has been much debate about which brother this refers to at that time, dead or alive!

Since both brothers were very much alive at the time, it has to be a reference to his brother Carl's wedding to Johanna. When Carl finally died in 1815, Beethoven went as far as accusing Johanna of having poisoned him!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            Since both brothers were very much alive at the time, it has to be a reference to his brother Carl's wedding to Johanna. When Carl finally died in 1815, Beethoven went as far as accusing Johanna of having poisoned him!

By dead, I meant did not survive childhood. Reference has been made to the 'other' deceased Ludvig in this context. Though this is less likely I admit.

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X