sorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorrow

I wish to extend my sympathy to all our Americal brother's and sister's and especially to the families of the brave astronuats who lost their lives, in the recent disaster of the Columbia space shuttle, May we join together and pray for their souls.

I couldn't sleep a wink last night thinking about this tragedy,what an awful thing to happen.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Thank you for those kind words. We've all been praying here for the astronauts and their family and friends. It was a terrible tragedy and certainly that occupation is filled with risks. Our President Bush certainly has had his hands full in the last couple of years. Let's also say a few extra prayers for him.

Joy
      You'll never get me in an airliner never mind a space rocket. Bush'll need more than prayers if he messes up the forthcomming war in Iraq. If it's not over in a month (that's all it should take) start worrying. I just hope they don't drop too many bombs on our boys like last time. Off subject, but back on subject I recall Beethoven made an interesting comment upon seeing a soldier strolling by one day, about how they sell themselves into slavery for a few pennies pay, or words to that effect. Mind you one could say the same about the conference management business.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Yes it was a tragedy, but way more than seven people died in cars that day, so let's not get all paranoid about flight. If I have to go any long distance, I certainly choose to fly instead of drive.

But going into space is another thing altogether. Looks like a bumpy trip, and I don't even like amusement park rides!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
          Yes it was a tragedy, but way more than seven people died in cars that day, so let's not get all paranoid about flight. If I have to go any long distance, I certainly choose to fly instead of drive.

But going into space is another thing altogether. Looks like a bumpy trip, and I don't even like amusement park rides!
          Me neither!

Also I agree about not getting paranoid. I was saying to some friends over the weekend that there's only been two space tragedies in 17 yrs. This may be two too many but it's not too bad of a record either considering how many times we are going up there!

Joy
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

All,
            In the event that you wondered where I've been (or not ;-)), just a note to let you know that pieces of the shuttle fell on my house and place of business, and I have been busy cleaning up. You can't imagine what it is like to be actually involved in such a major disaster, in no way is this something I ever hope to live through again. As a long-time space enthusiast, and also proud of my country's efforts to do something above and beyond to the benefit of everyone, I can only say that this is an intrinsic part of exploration, and the spirit that brings superior people forward to take the risks and sacrifice their own well-being for the greater good is not extinguished with these lives, it lives on and will continue to do so long after we have passed.
            Best Regards, Gurn
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Glad to hear you were not hurt, Gurn. Was your home badly damaged? I saw one on the news that was really bad. Whole roof was gone and the rest of it looked none too well either.

Comment

It's ashame that it takes a tragedy like what happened to Columbia and on 9-11 to bring Americans together. What is more of a tragedy is when NASA finally finds out that what caused Columbia to come apart could have been prevented, just like the Challenger explosion. I just hope that this too wasn't an accident waiting to happen.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those lives lost and to their families. I hope that NASA can learn from this and make improvements for we still have Atlantis, Discovery and Endeavor to take care of. Maybe a "Next Generation" shuttle is in order.

Comment

Yes, I watched Atlantis launch in Florida once, and it was quite a thing to see. And I saw Enterprise at the Smithsonian, which was also interesting. (I believe that was the prototype and was never fully put into service.)

As for a "next gen" shuttle, there were plans for that a while back, but I think that project was scrapped when funding was cut. That was the X-33 Venture Star project, if I remember correctly, and perhaps it will be looked at again in light of this.

Comment

The X-33:

Comment

Not to make light of this in any way, but it is amazing to me how primitive the space shuttles are, compared to the science fiction vehicles we have been 'raised on', and the real ships that will no doubt follow some day. It goes into orbit not by its own power, but helplessly piggy-backed on enormous rockets that later fall away. Once there, repairs are impossible even had they been known to be needed. The tiles cannot be repaired in space. There are no handholds on the bottom of the ship for a spacewalk. They couldn't dock with the space station. They could have conceivably changed orbits to match with the space atation, but not gotten across because no tie lines exist and they might have 'floated' off into eternity. They would have had no choice but to chance a re-entry anyway.

And, incomprehensible to me, the tiles survive 3000 degrees F. of heat, yet are weak enough to be broken with one's hand during installation if not handled correctly! A craft of this sophistication comes back to earth using weak and crumbly ceramic tiles on its belly for protection.

I know the space program has worked wonders, but this level of primitivism after such huge expenditures in money and time, shows how incredibly difficult the whole thing really is.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 04, 2003).]
                      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Glad to hear you were not hurt, Gurn. Was your home badly damaged? I saw one on the news that was really bad. Whole roof was gone and the rest of it looked none too well either.
                        Chris,
                        No, no damage, tile is very light weight. There was a lot of metal debris also, but fortunately none hit us. There is a piece at my work stuck into the ground like a spear... it is amazing to me seeing all this that no one on the ground was killed!
                        Regards, Gurn
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          All,
                          In the event that you wondered where I've been (or not ;-)), just a note to let you know that pieces of the shuttle fell on my house and place of business, and I have been busy cleaning up. You can't imagine what it is like to be actually involved in such a major disaster, in no way is this something I ever hope to live through again. As a long-time space enthusiast, and also proud of my country's efforts to do something above and beyond to the benefit of everyone, I can only say that this is an intrinsic part of exploration, and the spirit that brings superior people forward to take the risks and sacrifice their own well-being for the greater good is not extinguished with these lives, it lives on and will continue to do so long after we have passed.
                          Best Regards, Gurn
                          Here, here! Very well said! In this morning's paper they are finding debris in central Phoenix, Mesa, and north central Arizona as well! Which means the shuttle was starting to break up over Arizona or even California. They also found the nose buried in the ground in Texas and are now trying to dig it out. The speed of these shuttles at reentry is incomprehensible, ten times the speed of a shotgun bullet!!

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited February 04, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                            It's ashame that it takes a tragedy like what happened to Columbia and on 9-11 to bring Americans together.

I don't know if that's entirely true. We're together on a lot of things. Only when something like this happens it's more noticible.

Comment

[B]Yes, I watched Atlantis launch in Florida once, and it was quite a thing to see. And I saw Enterprise at the Smithsonian, which was also interesting. (I believe that was the prototype and was never fully put into service.)

[B]
                              I saw The Columbia come in for a landing at Edwards Air Force Base in California. Quite a remarkable sight to see something that's just come back from space and watch it land!! The sonic boom was deafening! I also saw The Enterprise at The Smithsonian and you are right it was the prototype and never used. (Love the picture Chris, thanks for putting that up.).

Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X