Wo0 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wo0 100

Ignaz Schuppanzigh good naturedly served as the butt of Beethoven's frequent jokes about obesity and similarities to Falstaff.
    Ludwig wrote the following musical joke for three voices and chorus;-

Schup-pan-zigh is-a dope, dope!. Who-knows him, who knows-him not?
    The fat and greedy-hog, the egotistic-im-be-cile! You dope, Schup-pan-zigh! You jack-ass, Schup-pan-zigh! Let all of us-chime in; You are the great-est Jack-ass!
    You dope! You jack-ass, You jack-ass! Hi-hi-ha!.

I think this piece is entitled; "Homage to fatty". Has anyone heard this rare piece?

When planning for a dinner after the concert on May 7th 1824, Schindler offered to invite "My Lord Falstaff, if he will promise to eat only a regular meal; otherwise I must order for three more guests".

Beethoven also referred to Schuppanzigh as,
    "offspring of the ancient English dynasty of my Lord Falstaff".

Was Ludwig's humour always taken good naturedly?

I haven't but we did feature this selection of vocal canons on the rare page a while back:

WoO101 Graf, liebster Graf - (3pt) Written for Nikolaus Zmeskall 1802

WoO184 Falstafferel, lass dich sehen! - (5pt) Written for Ignaz Schuppanzigh April 1823

WoO196 Es muss sein! - (4pt) Written for Ignaz Dembscher c.July 1826

Hess276 Her Graf, ich komme zu fragen - (3pt) c.1797?

Hess277 Esel aller Esel - (3pt) c.Sep 1826

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

Ignaz Schuppanzigh good naturedly served as the butt of Beethoven's frequent jokes about obesity and similarities to Falstaff.

Was Ludwig's humour always taken good naturedly?

Well I've always though S must have been pretty thick skinned to take all of this 'leg-pulling' without offence! Beethoven's relationship with him seemed a little detached from what I've read, despite their long association with each other.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        I haven't but we did feature this selection of vocal canons on the rare page a while back:

Hess276 Her Graf, ich komme zu fragen - (3pt) c.1797?

Is this that piece where they repeat 'he-haw, ha-haw' like a donkey over and over again. (Or maybe it's WoO 101, written 1802)? It's only 36 seconds long or so? Was that written as a joke for Schuppanzigh as well? That poor guy must have taken a lot of joking!

Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          Is this that piece where they repeat 'he-haw, ha-haw' like a donkey over and over again.

Joy
          This is 'Esel aller Esel'.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Is this that piece where they repeat 'he-haw, ha-haw' like a donkey over and over again. (Or maybe it's WoO 101, written 1802)? It's only 36 seconds long or so? Was that written as a joke for Schuppanzigh as well? That poor guy must have taken a lot of joking!
            Joy
            No, as Rod pointed out, but WoO 101 is possibly my favorite of the vocal canons I have heard. I just listened to it this morning.

Comment

Tell us why, Chris?

Comment

I suppose for the same reason I prefer blue to red. They are all good, but that one just does something for me especially.

Comment

Working...
                X