A Valentine message for everyone!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Joy, gentle friends,
    Joy and fresh days of love
    Accompany your hearts!

From; A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Good morning ,on July 7th
    Though still in bed,my thoughts go out to you,my Immortal Beloved,now and then joyfully,then sadly,waiting to learn whether or not fate will hear us-I can live only wholly with you or not at all-Yes I am resolved to wander so long away from you untill I can fly to your arms and say that I am really at home with you,and you can send my soul enwrapped in you into the land of spirits-Yes ,unhappily it must be so-You will be the more contained since you know my fidelity to you.No one else can every possess
    my heart -never-never-Oh God,why must one be parted from one whom one so loves.And yet,my life in V is now a wretched life-Your love makes me at once the happiest and the unhappiest of men-At my age I need a steady quiet life-can that be so in our connection?
    My angel,I have just been told that the mail coach goes every day-therefore I must close at once so you may receive the letter at once.-Be calm,only by a calm consideration of our existance can we achieve our purpose
    to live together-Be calm-Love me today-yesterday-what tearful longings for you-you-you-my life -my all -farewell.Oh continue to love me-never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved L.ever thine
    ever mine
    ever ours
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Hey, did we have a postal strike yesterday in London?

Originally posted by lysander:

A Valentine message for everyone!

Joy, gentle friends,
      Joy and fresh days of love
      Accompany your hearts!

From; A Midsummer Night's Dream.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Hey, did we have a postal strike yesterday in London?

A very witty reply Roders!

But it is one of the very many lovely quotes from the old Bard.

There are a few good sites on Shakespeare, but none as interactive and alive as the Beethoven site here.

Can you imagine the postal system in Tudor times?
        In times of crises the Tudor Kings took the power to demand a message to be carried. The citizens along the route were compelled to provide horses and were compensated by a payment of 1d per mile.
        A disadvantage of this system was that it only worked one way, from the King and court outwards.
        Officials around the country didn't have the power to send message back in a similar way and there was nothing in it for the ordinary people.
        A problem was the cost.
        The rate of a 1d a mile was insufficient to maintain a horse.

In 1680 a London Businessman, William Dockwra, started a penny post within London and Westminster, there were fifteen deliveries a day. Letters posted after 21.00 wouldn't be delivered until the next morning!
        Try telling that to Consignia!

I know this isn't appropriate for this site, though it is interesting.

Lysander.

Comment

Working...
        X