story behind fur elise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

story behind fur elise

can anyone tell me the story behind Beethoven's writing Fur Elise? My old piano teacher once told me the story and now I have chosen Fur Elise as a paper topic. I would like to give accuate information durring my presentation. I would appreciate some help.

The Bagatelle in A minor(WoO59) known as 'Fur Elise' was written in 1810 for Therese Malfatti - a lady Beethoven was considering marrying at that time. Nothing came of this, as Therese's father objected to the union and she was married in 1816 to Baron Von Drosdick. In a letter of May 1810 to Therese, Beethoven refers to the Bagatelle - 'In this letter, beloved Therese, you are receiving what I promised you.' Her uncle was Dr.Giovanni Malfatti, who treated Beethoven in his final illness and for whom Beethoven composed a short cantata Un lieto brindisi (WoO103) in 1814.
    It has been suggested as Beethoven's hand-writing was notoriously bad that he had actually written 'Fur Therese' - however it seems that Beethoven did write the name 'Elise' which was used then as an affectionate name for a loved one.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

According to Barry Cooper, the earliest sketch for (Fur Elise) is from 1808.
      A longer draft is undated ( it's paper type was used By Beethoven from 1808 to 1810; but Beethoven was not familiar with Therese until 1810, as far as is known, and he manuscript containing the draft was clearly
      being used in 1810 since it contains ideas for two other works composed that spring. thus it seems thast the presentation to Therese must have been made in April that year. It is very likely that Beethoven referred to Therese as Elise, as he was fond of using Pet names.

Comment

Working...
      X