Some Wagner tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Wagner tracks

Requesting the indulgence of the moderators, I'd like to post some Wagner excerpts that I hope members may enjoy. The emphasis will be more on the composer's melodic side and less on his storminess.

You need not wait for a download, stream it instead. If you 'Copy' the URL with your mouse; and then open the file menu of a player like Real Player, Windows Media Player, or Quicktime, and then click on 'Open' or 'Open URL', you can paste the URL in and listen streaming immediately instead of waiting for a download. On Quicktime you must push the -> button to start it.

(Quicktime is a good player, I recommend it for those who don't already have it, it can be downloaded from www.apple.com.)

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited January 10, 2003).]
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

This is the Good Friday music near the end of 'Parsifal'. It has to do with a sacred ceremony in which a king's wound is being healed by the Holy Grail, knights are watching, etc.; not really too important to know all about in order to enjoy the music. James Levine conducts at the Wagner-family-run Bayreuth Festival in 1985; the bass Gurnemanz is sung by Hans Sotin, the tenor Parsifal by Peter Hofmann.

http://www.zigmund.com/Wagner_Good_Friday_Music.MP3

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

I will not download it because I have the perfect Parsifal with Solti.

Comment

We appreciate your contribution, Chaszz, but it doesn't seem like there is too much interest. I downloaded it, but it didn't do much for me, I'm sorry to say.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited January 11, 2003).]

Comment

Another try, I hope this may be received a little better than my last one. Here is a duet from The Ring. In 'Die Walkure', Siegmund and Sieglinde, twins separated as young children, have met years later, fallen in love and THEN realized they are brother and sister. As the door of the house flies open to reveal the forest transfigured by spring, the two embrace. They will soon mate rapturously and incestuously, producing the hero Siegfried, perhaps a case of the end justifying the means. In the meantime, what can ready one for love more than a beautiful aria, dedicated to the glories of springtime?

(I decided to cut this off where the music was changng into something less springlike and more martial. Wagner's music has no natural ending until the end of an act, so this sounds truncated. Also, I apologize profusely for a few seconds of knocking in the middle where I spliced two tracks together. I can't seem to get rid of it, and don't have more time to fool with it, as they're making me work at my job these days!!)

Sir Georg Solti leads the Vienna Philharmonic in his classic 1966 version of The Ring for Decca. Siegmund is sung by James King, and Sieglinde by Regine Crespin.

http://www.zigmund.com/Wagner_Spring_Song.MP3

YOU NEED NOT WAIT for a download, stream it immediately instead. If you 'Copy' the URL with your mouse; and then open the file menu of a player like Real Player, Windows Media Player, or Quicktime, and then click on 'Open' or 'Open URL', you can paste the URL in and listen streaming immediately instead of waiting for a download. On Quicktime you must push the -> button to start it.

(Quicktime is a good player, I recommend it for those who don't already have it, it can be downloaded from www.apple.com.) ..

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited January 22, 2003).]

Comment

Hello...see new track above...if you try it you might like it....

Comment

Sir Georg Solti leads the Vienna Philharmonic in his classic 1966 version of The Ring for Decca. Siegmund is sung by James King, and Sieglinde by Regine Crespin.

http://www.zigmund.com/Wagner_Spring_Song.MP3

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited January 22, 2003).][/B]

Bravo! Good music! I enjoyed listening to that. I just might have to dust off my Solti recording of the Ring (might be a later version, I don't know) and listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Bravo! Good music! I enjoyed listening to that. I just might have to dust off my Solti recording of the Ring (might be a later version, I don't know) and listen to it.
                You see, anti-Wagnerites, someone likes it!
                Try it, you might also! Do not force me to beg (which I am ready to do).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

This is the only Ring by Solti.

Comment

Since so many members are waiting with aching hearts for my next Wagner track, I can't bear to leave you in need of redemption any longer. Here is that old warhorse, the Tannhauser Overture, played by the Budapest Symphony Orchestra conducted by Gyorgy Lehel. Since my less warriored horses have by and large not appealed, perhaps a real warhorse will...or not...

Speaking of Play Melancholy Baby, this was so overplayed during the composer's lifetime, that he had to request it not be played for him anymore at celebrations and town welcomes, etc.

http://www.zigmund.com/Wagner_Tannhauser_Overture.MP3

All comments, whether valentines or brickbats, are welcomed.

- Chaszz

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                      Since so many members are waiting with aching hearts for my next Wagner track, I can't bear to leave you in need of redemption any longer. Here is that old warhorse, the Tannhauser Overture, played by the Budapest Symphony Orchestra conducted by Gyorgy Lehel. Since my less warriored horses have by and large not appealed, perhaps a real warhorse will...or not...

Speaking of Play Melancholy Baby, this was so overplayed during the composer's lifetime, that he had to request it not be played for him anymore at celebrations and town welcomes, etc.

http://www.zigmund.com/Wagner_Tannhauser_Overture.MP3

All comments, whether valentines or brickbats, are welcomed.

- Chaszz

Thank you for sharing that. As I am listening to this on a Monday morning before going to work I consider it a real treat to start the day and week on a good note (pun intended). Outside of Beethoven's works this is one that moves me more than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                        [B]Sir Georg Solti leads the Vienna Philharmonic in his classic 1966 version of The Ring for Decca. Siegmund is sung by James King, and Sieglinde by Regine Crespin.
                        Very nice! A demonstration that Wagnerian heroes actually need some musical intelligence too!

The only recording I have with James King is Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde, with Janet Baker singing contralto and Bernard Haitink leading the Concertgebouw Orchestra. What a recording! But possibly only for real Mahler fans, especially the last heartbreaking song. Mr. King is magnificent in the first and fifth songs but a little heavy for the third. But in your Wagner excerpt he's just fine! I had never heard Ms. Crespin, but she's fine too.

Comment

Working...
                        X