Review of new Beethoven book

From the N.Y. Times, Sunday, January 19:

'Beethoven': The First Modern
    By MICHAEL KIMMELMAN

A review of
    BEETHOVEN
    The Music and the Life.
    By Lewis Lockwood.
    Illustrated. 604 pp. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. $39.95.

He was short, thickset, pockmarked, maybe from smallpox, with a dark complexion. As a boy, he was called ''der Spagnol.'' His hearing, which worsened as he reached his 30's, never entirely disappeared, but he was forced to use an ear trumpet, then a conversation book, and he suffered from terrible earaches and ringing ears. He also complained of abdominal distress, chronic bronchitis and colitis, never mind his hypochondria and erratic, sometimes extreme temper.

As a domineering uncle, tending his dead brother's son and battling the boy's mother for control, he seems to have driven his nephew to attempt suicide. He never married. He pursued women who rejected him -- women of higher social standing, women who wouldn't ever have had him -- maybe because he knew he couldn't be a good husband and accomplish what he wanted at the same time. The only opera he composed, ''Fidelio,'' has as its subject the unwavering devotion of a good woman who risks her life to save the hero. Its subtitle was ''Conjugal Love.''

At his funeral, Ludwig van Beethoven was remembered by the dramatist Franz Grillparzer as a paradox, in his personal life discontented and alienated from much of society but full of love for humanity in his music. Baron de Tremont, who visited his apartment in Vienna in 1809, reported seeing ''the dirtiest, most disorderly place imaginable,'' the piano buried under dust and papers, an unemptied chamber pot under the piano. This was the same year Beethoven wrote his Fifth Piano Concerto, the noble ''Emperor,'' and ''Das Lebewohl,'' one of his most elegant piano sonatas.

more... http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/19/bo...l?pagewanted=1

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Thanks for the info Chaszz. I am always interested in finding new books on Beethoven or new videos. That certainly was an interesting synopsis of his life. Have you read it? Is it more fact than fiction do you think?

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy,

What videos do you have on Beethoven? I have several but am always looking for more. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
        Joy,

What videos do you have on Beethoven? I have several but am always looking for more. Thanks!!
        I hope you've got Fidelio on video!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
          Joy,

I have 'Triumph Over Adversity' A look at the life of the composer while performing some of his music. 'The Sound and the Fury' which was on the Biography channel a few years back. A close look of the composer's life from early on to his later life and discussing his music. 'Beethoven A Film by Hans Conrad Fischer' This talks about his life while viewing portraits of him and his life in Bonn and Vienna. 'The Life, Times and Music of Beethoven', pretty self explanatory. Very good biography. Also 'Beethoven Lives Upstairs' This is mainly for geared for children but is very enjoyable about a time in his life when he was working on the 9th Symphony, his struggle with deafness, and discusses his youth. It culminates in performing part of the 9th Symphony. All are enjoyable and interesting.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Thanks for the info Chaszz. I am always interested in finding new books on Beethoven or new videos. That certainly was an interesting synopsis of his life. Have you read it? Is it more fact than fiction do you think?

Joy
            I haven't read it. I believe it just came out. According to the review, it seems to be pretty factual.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              I hope you've got Fidelio on video!

I do. I have one which was taped in London a few years back and just recently taped the one from The New York Metropolitan Opera which was excellent!

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy 'Beethoven Lives Upstairs' This is mainly for geared for children but is very enjoyable about a time in his life when he was working on the 9th Symphony, his struggle with deafness, and discusses his youth. It culminates in performing part of the 9th Symphony. All are enjoyable and interesting.

Joy[/B]
                On the strength of your recomendation I rented this and watched it with some young friends 10 and 6 yrs old. They squirmed and complained so much about it I sent them off and watched on my own.I loved it as it seemed to portray LVB not as a madman but a human struggeling to create music despite his various ailments ,deafness being but one of his challanges.The music and settings were wonderful in this production.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                  On the strength of your recomendation I rented this and watched it with some young friends 10 and 6 yrs old. They squirmed and complained so much about it I sent them off and watched on my own.I loved it as it seemed to portray LVB not as a madman but a human struggeling to create music despite his various ailments ,deafness being but one of his challanges.The music and settings were wonderful in this production.
                  I watched it with my nephew, then 10 yrs. old, and he loved it. He was entranced by it and kept talking aobut sometime later. He's watch it a few times over again since. I guess it depends on the person. I do agree with you about the movie portraying his ailments, personality, even discussing his youth. I think it's a fine movie which really shows you the man quirks and all and gives you an inside look at what his life was about.
                  The location was a delightful addition as well. I think it was filmed in Czeck.

Joy

Comment

A quote from another review of this new book on Beethoven: (BEETHOVEN
                    The Music and the Life.
                    By Lewis Lockwood.)

"To [this] pessimism there is no final response except that provided by listeners and musicians who seem to arise in every new generation and regard works such as the Eroica and the “Emperor” Concerto as among their most significant personal experiences. Listeners accept them not as antiquated expressions of a political idealism that has been cruelly banished by history, but as evocations of the human possibilities that might be realized in a better world. And by attending to the inner as well as the outer aspects of such works, such listeners still believe in the courage and beauty that they convey."

The entire book review, by Terry Teachout, circles around the question to what extent Beethoven's life, and the life of his times, is reflected in his music, without shedding too much new light on it. Worth reading, however. I must object to the reviewer's characterizing Beethoven as 'the least intellectual of men' and someone who could not express himself well in words. I think we've seen in the quotes on this forum that he could express himself very well in words. If he was not a noted intellectual, his active interest in great poets from all periods certainly makes him much more than the 'least intellectual of men'.

I forgot to post the web address of this book review by Terry Teachout, so am adding it now (Friday 2/7):
                    http://www.commentarymagazine.com/teachout.htm

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 07, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                      A quote from another review of this new book on Beethoven: (BEETHOVEN
                      The Music and the Life.
                      By Lewis Lockwood.)

"To [this] pessimism there is no final response except that provided by listeners and musicians who seem to arise in every new generation and regard works such as the Eroica and the “Emperor” Concerto as among their most significant personal experiences. Listeners accept them not as antiquated expressions of a political idealism that has been cruelly banished by history, but as evocations of the human possibilities that might be realized in a better world. And by attending to the inner as well as the outer aspects of such works, such listeners still believe in the courage and beauty that they convey."

The entire book review, by Terry Teachout, circles around the question to what extent Beethoven's life, and the life of his times, is reflected in his music, without shedding too much new light on it. Worth reading, however. I must object to the reviewer's characterizing Beethoven as 'the least intellectual of men' and someone who could not express himself well in words. I think we've seen in the quotes on this forum that he could express himself very well in words. If he was not a noted intellectual, his active interest in great poets from all periods certainly makes him much more than the 'least intellectual of men'.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 06, 2003).]
                      Charles, so it's worth the cost then? I will look into this book. Do you think it states mostly facts as I don't like books where you have to 'guess' at the truth. Thanks

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited February 06, 2003).]

Comment

I'm glad to see that there are some new books out on Beethoven that I don't have yet in my collection which now stands at 27 books. I'll have to check these titles out when we go to the USA on our vacation this year. Books here in Austria are very expensive. A paperback that costs $5.95 in the USA will cost $15.00 here!

I must add to my video and DVD collection too. I have 4 Beethoven videos: Beethoven Lives Upstairs; Klassix-13's Beethoven; The Immortal Beethoven with Peter Ustinov; and Fidelio from Sir Peter Hall's 1979 Glyndebourne Festival Opera production. I'm looking forward to adding to my collections.

If any of you out there in Beethoven forumland come across any new book titles, please post them here so I'll have a list of books to get when I go to the States. Danke!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrea:
                          Books here in Austria are very expensive. A paperback that costs $5.95 in the USA will cost $15.00 here!

You'll rarely catch me buying a new book - I absolutely refuse to pay the disgraceful prices and we fortunately have a superb 2nd hand bookshop near me which has a very good music section!

I must add to my video and DVD collection too. I have 4 Beethoven videos: Beethoven Lives Upstairs; Klassix-13's Beethoven; The Immortal Beethoven with Peter Ustinov; and Fidelio from Sir Peter Hall's 1979 Glyndebourne Festival Opera production. I'm looking forward to adding to my collections.

What do you make of the Ustinov play as I have not seen it?

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

What do you make of the Ustinov play as I have not seen it?

[/B]
                            Unfortunately I have not seen this play. When it was being performed in Los Angeles back in 1978, I was going through my basic and technical training in the Air Force in Texas. I only wish I had seen it for I love Peter Ustinov.

This video, that I recorded off of PBS years ago, is on the life of Beethoven with musical performances throughout. Peter Ustinov was the presenter and narrator.

Comment

Sorry that I forgot to post the URL of the Terry Teachout review of the new Beethoven book which I referred to, above:
                              http://www.commentarymagazine.com/teachout.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X