Melody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melody

A radio presenter says Vivaldi wrote 5000 variations on a single melody,what makes a good melody?
    "Finis coronat opus "

Originally posted by spaceray:
    A radio presenter says Vivaldi wrote 5000 variations on a single melody,what makes a good melody?
    5000 vars in only one work? Astonishing.

Comment

spaceray,
      He was actually misquoting an old saying that Vivaldi actually only wrote 1 concerto, but that he rewrote it 500 times. I think this does the man a gross injustice, as anyone with half an ear can easily discern at least 2 different melodies there! ;-)) No, I'm not serious, being a big V fan, but as to what actually makes a good melody, it surely is in the ear of the beholder, since I see the same works loved by as many as those who revile them.
      Regards, Gurn
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hard one this! You could talk about mode, pitch and rhythm, but ultimately I suppose it comes down to whether or not you like it! Take the theme from the Diabelli variations -nothing special or memorable but pleasant enough - it took a great composer to show what could be done with it!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X