Opus 31, no2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opus 31, no2

Beethoven by alchemy of his genius made everything into his own Gold.

According to A.Schindler, Beethoven informed him that the key to understanding Opus 31. was by reading Shakespeare's Tempest, (hence the works nickname).
    Although powerful, energetic, beautiful and mysterious. It does'nt strike me as stormy and tempestuous as 'B' can be in other works.
    Perhaps he was not so much interested in the elemental phenomena at the begining of the play but only interested in the human character. He absorbed what was useful to him from the play only what would fit into the framework of the Sonata.
    I am very fond of this work, and it is for us to accept great works as their creator meant them.

Originally posted by ann hathaway:

Beethoven by alchemy of his genius made everything into his own Gold.

According to A.Schindler, Beethoven informed him that the key to understanding Opus 31. was by reading Shakespeare's Tempest, (hence the works nickname).
    Although powerful, energetic, beautiful and mysterious. It does'nt strike me as stormy and tempestuous as 'B' can be in other works.
    Perhaps he was not so much interested in the elemental phenomena at the begining of the play but only interested in the human character. He absorbed what was useful to him from the play only what would fit into the framework of the Sonata.
    I am very fond of this work, and it is for us to accept great works as their creator meant them.

Coming for Schindler the story is doubtful!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Then how did it get it's nickname 'The Tempest' and who called it that?
      (BTW Anne, It's one of my favourite sonatas as well).

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited January 29, 2003).]
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Then how did it get it's nickname 'The Tempest' and who called it that?
        (BTW Anne, It's one of my favourite sonatas as well).

Joy
        The name comes solely from Schindler's story and as far as I am aware is not an official name for this sonata in the way we talk of the 'Moonlight' or 'Appassionata' as it was not published with the name - I never use the name 'Tempest' in reference to this sonata and think of it solely as Op.31/2.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          The name comes solely from Schindler's story and as far as I am aware is not an official name for this sonata in the way we talk of the 'Moonlight' or 'Appassionata' as it was not published with the name - I never use the name 'Tempest' in reference to this sonata and think of it solely as Op.31/2.

Although not of B's invention, I believe the title 'Appassionata' was used in the published editions during his lifetime. I presume he found no particular fault with the name. I'm not a fan of naming pieces but Moonlight and Tempest are so ingrained in the CM culture it seems almost churlish to deliberately avoid their use.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Remember, The Tempest is a comedy! If Beethoven had really programmed the sonata after Shakespeare's play, it might have a stormy introduction but the last movements certainly would be joyful and witty, not as serious as they are.

Had Schindler (or LvB if the remark is authentic) actually seen or read the play?

Comment

Many of the "Tempest's elements based on familiar stuff of romance literature.
              Modern editors now refer to it as a "
              Romance". It does also contain shakespeare's brilliant comedy and satire.

The Tempest is probably one of the last plays he wrote, and would seem to be his valedictory to the theatre.
              As we read from Prospero's mysterious and moving epilogue;
              Now my charms are all overthrown, and what strength I have is my own--is the expression of Shakespeare's own professional leave taking.
              I do think this epilogue would have appealed to Beethoven, when we read furhter-- Now my charms are all overthrown,
              and what stregnth I have is my own,
              which is most faint. Now it is true,
              I must be here confined by you'
              Or sent to Naples, let me not,
              Since I have my Dukedom got,
              And pardoned the deciever,dwell in this bare Island by your spell;
              But release me from my bands, with the help of your good handsl
              Gentle breath of yours my sails must fill, or else my project fails,
              which will to please. Now I want spirits to enforce, art to enchant;
              And my ending is despair
              unlesss I be releived by prayer,
              Which pierces so, that it assaults mercy itself, and frees and faults,
              As you from crimes would pardon be,
              Let your indulgence set me free.

EXIT

Beethoven copied into his Tagenbuch a quotation that linked himself with Michelangelo and Shakespeare as on of the three ultimate masters of their art.

Ludwig treasured the two double volumes of Shakespeare's Works in the translation by Johann Joachim Eschenburg, reprinted in Mannheim between 1778-1783, from the thirteen volumes originally published in Zurich between 1775-1782.

From a consideration of the thirty-one passages underlined in pencil, in his tagenbuch, it would appear that his favourites were The Tempest, The Merchant of Venice, Othello and Romeo and Juliet.

I believe "B" was also considering composing an Oper on Macbeth, but never came to fruition.
              Ludwig discussed Shakespeare with his nephew, Karl, who made the following entries in the conversation-books;

How do you like the Merchant of Venice?

and the famous monologue from Hamlet; "to be or not to be"

Beethoven's sketches of Macbeth survive, and of the leaf with sketches for the Witches' scene, there are also sketches for the slow movement Largo of the Ghost Trio, Opus 70.

We simply cannot rule out the possibilty that he informed Schindler, that the key to understanding the Piano Sonata Opus 31.
              was to be found in reading Shakespeare's "Tempest". Otherwise why would he even suggest this?

Comment

We simply cannot rule out the possibilty that he informed Schindler, that the key to understanding the Piano Sonata Opus 31.
                was to be found in reading Shakespeare's "Tempest". Otherwise why would he even suggest this?

Well the tagebuchs postdate the Op.31 sonatas by over a decade. The trouble with anecdotes coming like this from Schindler is that we know he was prone to invention and distortion not to mention sheer vandalism in his wanton destruction of many important historical documents. I simply do not believe anyway that it is necessary to have read the Tempest to understand the sonata, so why should Beethoven have said it?

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Comment

I respect what you are saying Peter, but was not Beethoven inspired by the Bard, Schiller and Geothe?.

I know that Schindler can be unreliable, and probably vindictive, not having read enough about him, I confess my ignorance about him.

Comment

I respect what you are saying Peter, but was not Beethoven inspired by the Bard, Schiller and Geothe?.

Absolutely and it is possible B did say that - my only point is that Schindler has to be treated with caution and not taken as Gospel - Bettina Brentano is another unreliable source.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                      X