Beethoven 's religion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joy:
    Impressive or not, I think they tear down too many buildings to make way for other things. Looks like they always did that. I know how it is where I live, they're constantly wanting to destroy older more historical buildings to put in a new parking lot or shopping mall. Many people protest this and sometimes get their way. A few historical buildings were saved here through this process which they ended up renovating and now they're using them for theatres, concerts and such, and they're beautiful buildings.

Joy
    Outside the US there has always been more preservation than within it. This has been changing gradually for the last generation or two, and now we do Americans do preserve more than we used to. A turning point was the preservation of Grand Central Station in New York City. The marvelous Penn Station had been torn down some years before and that galvanized people to save Grand Central. Since then we have a presevation board in NY which rules on things. I think most American cities have these boards now.

I don't know if you've been to Europe, Joy, but one of the nicest things about it is that most of the large capitals have a great number of historic buildings still standing. In Paris the whole center section of the city, several square miles, has by law been mostly unchanged since some point in the 19th century, I think. A city will often have some kind of an 'old town' which corresponds roughly to its medieval or Renaissance area.

Chaszz

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited January 29, 2003).]
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
      Outside the US there has always been more preservation than within it. This has been changing gradually for the last generation or two, and now we do Americans do preserve more than we used to. A turning point was the preservation of Grand Central Station in New York City. The marvelous Penn Station had been torn down some years before and that galvanized people to save Grand Central. Since then we have a presevation board in NY which rules on things. I think most American cities have these boards now.

Glad to hear it!

I don't know if you've been to Europe, Joy, but one of the nicest things about it is that most of the large capitals have a great number of historic buildings still standing. In Paris the whole center section of the city, several square miles, has by law been mostly unchanged since some point in the 19th century, I think. A city will often have some kind of an 'old town' which corresponds roughly to its medieval or Renaissance area.

B][/QUOTE]

They do like to preserve their heritage. We could learn something from this.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
      X