Beethoven the chef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven the chef

From childhood onwards Beethoven had a sensitive stomach and until about 1809 he usually ate out. When the provision of food in Vienna became ever more difficult due to the Napoleonic Wars, Beethoven was forced like others to find suitable kitchen staff for himself. "I must have someone to cook for me; so long as the food continues to be this awful I shall always be falling ill."37 However, he was rarely satisfied with his housekeepers.

Once, in desperation at the (in his opinion) poor quality of the staff, he even invited his friends to a meal that he cooked himself. His friend Ignaz von Seyfried reports: "For the guests there was nothing for it but to arrive punctually in anticipation of what would happen. They found their host [Beethoven] in his nightshirt, his unkempt head covered with a magnificent sleeping hat and his loins girded with a blue apron, busy at the stove.

After a test of patience that lasted more than one and a half hours, at the end of which the impetuous noises from their stomachs could hardly be drowned out by polite chit-chat any more, dinner was finally served. The soup resembled the scum that restaurant kitchens kindly donate to members of the begging fraternity; the beef was barely half boiled and suitable for those of a fighting nature; the vegetables swam together in a sea of water and fat, and the joint seemed to have been smoked in the chimney. Nonetheless, our host gamely introduced each of the dishes and, after the anticipated applause, became so jolly that he gave himself the name of a character in the burlesque "The Merry Consummation", namely, the cook Mehlschöberl. Setting an example himself and praising excessively the tasty morsels on the table, Beethoven tried to animate his dilatory guests. These, however, barely managed to force down a few lumps and, insisting that they were already quite full, restricted themselves to the fresh bread, fresh fruit, sweet biscuits and unadulterated grape juice. Fortunately, the Master of Sounds tired of his kitchen rule soon after this memorable feast and he laid down his sceptre of his own accord."38

37Letter from Beethoven to Nikolaus von Zmeskall, undated 1809.
    38Ignaz von Seyfried, quoted from: Friedrich Kerst, Die Erinnerungen an Beethoven, Stuttgart 1913.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Originally posted by Chaszz:
    Fortunately, the Master of Sounds tired of his kitchen rule soon after this memorable feast and he laid down his sceptre of his own accord."38

How wise of the master, I've lived in my current dwelling for almost 3 years but have only visited the kitchen once! Good story Chaszz.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Enjoyed the story, Chaszz! The Master obviously did not know how to cook but must have had no tastebuds at all if he thought all that was good food! Good thing he was a genius in music, he would never had made it as a chef!

Rod, do you eat out that much? Doesn't that get tiresome?

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Enjoyed the story, Chaszz! The Master obviously did not know how to cook but must have had no tastebuds at all if he thought all that was good food! Good thing he was a genius in music, he would never had made it as a chef!

Rod, do you eat out that much? Doesn't that get tiresome?

Joy
        Eat out, take-aways, something different every night potentially. I'm too tired anyway to cook these days, it takes all my energy just to lift a beer glass! Regardless cooking = work as far as I am concerned.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Cooking is certianly work for me,thats what I do for a living .But it is also second nature to me as well. I could make apple pie in my sleep.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

[B

The soup resembled the scum that restaurant kitchens kindly donate to members of the begging fraternity; the beef was barely half boiled and suitable for those of a fighting nature; the vegetables swam together in a sea of water and fat, and the joint seemed to have been smoked in the chimney.

37Letter from Beethoven to Nikolaus von Zmeskall, undated 1809.
            38Ignaz von Seyfried, quoted from: Friedrich Kerst, Die Erinnerungen an Beethoven, Stuttgart 1913.
            [/B]
            Beethoven was possibly too frugal to purchase expensive high quality victuals and the trick to good cooking is to buy the very best that one can afford and not screw it up before you get it to the table.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

In Schindler's book, he states that Beethoven (why would Schindler lie about this?) usualy ate macarroni and chese when there was no one cooking for him, that he would ocasionally eat fish and would only have soup at night.
              wouldn't he cook those things to his friends?
              "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                In Schindler's book, he states that Beethoven (why would Schindler lie about this?) usualy ate macarroni and chese when there was no one cooking for him, that he would ocasionally eat fish and would only have soup at night.
                wouldn't he cook those things to his friends?
                I've read about this dinner before but can't find that particular text. But it said this was to Beethoven a special occasion and he put a lot of care and thought into it. So that his usual fare would not be good enough. So far as I know this is the only time he cooked for his friends.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

So far as I know this is the only time he cooked for his friends.

Thank goodness!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

It's interesting to see how creative and artistic people can have no idea when it comes to just the everyday jobs like cooking or housecleaning. Poor Ludwig, bless him, he did try. Thank god he realized that music was his forte, not cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                      It's interesting to see how creative and artistic people can have no idea when it comes to just the everyday jobs like cooking or housecleaning. Poor Ludwig, bless him, he did try. Thank god he realized that music was his forte, not cooking.
                      I hope I don't do him a disservice by noting that he would make a good humorous comic strip character, as would my other liebermeister, Wagner. And they were both short, which is essential for humorous comic strip characters! If anyone is offended by this observation, I apologize. All meant in good fun.

Comment

I've read about this dinner before but can't find that particular text. But it said this was to Beethoven a special occasion and he put a lot of care and thought into it. So that his usual fare would not be good enough. So far as I know this is the only time he cooked for his friends.

I read about it too. I understand B was sick afterwards.

Comment

It seems poor Beethoven was sick after nearly every meal he ate, his digestion was not all it should have been ,a wheat intolerance perhaps ,bread was a part of every meal.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Ludwig's Mother served her family fine foods from the electoral kitchens, while he also enjoyed the excellent Rhenish cuisine in the Breuning household. A feast of roast turkey was serve for special festive celebrations with his freinds.
                            Nanette Streicher informed the Novellos that Beethoven's favourite dish was cold turkey in jelly, and Strasburg Pate.
                            On Thursdays he liked to have Panadlsuppe. This Austrian speciality soup was prepared by poaching eggyolks whisked with cream in the heated stock from veal bones.
                            ( I hate to think of the cholesterol levels ).
                            The housekeeper was obliged to present ten fresh eggs on a plate to Beethoven, who would then test their worth by sniffing them. If his nostrils detected a rotten odour, he would summon her in an uproar, which would be her cue to duck the approaching volley of missiles about to splash over the kitchen door!

On Saturday nights Ludwig also liked to eat (Blutwurst mit Kartoffel), blackpudding with potatoes. washed down with Regensburg beer. ( Oh dear, now I am begining to feel a little queasy).

You may also have heard the amusing story when the beautiful soloists of the Ninth Symphony , Caroline Unger and Henrietta Sontag, eventually accepted Ludwig's invitation to dinner, they came at short notice in January 1824, when all the shops were closed.
                            His cook purchased from a nearby restaurant some chicken and meat, which she served with salad, followed by Viennese yeast cake.
                            Schindler reported later that the two young ladies had too much to drink, so that Sontag, who complained that the wine was sour, was obliged to cancel her singing engagement that evening.

Comment

So far as I know this is the only time he cooked for his friends.

I'm not surprised!!

Joy
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                              X