The Simpsons and Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Simpsons and Beethoven

I don't know how many of you watch the Simpsons, but it seems that the creator, Matt Groening, is particularly fond of Beethoven. I have noted several episodes in which Beethoven's music is used. Here are a few I remember:
    Early episode where the Simpsons go camping in their new RV. While Homer is driving through the woods, he is whistling the melody of the 1st movement of the Triple Concerto.

Homer echoes into Lisa's saxophone,
    "Sax-o-mo-phone..... sax-o-mo-phone... (theme to B's 5th)

Episode where the children of Springfield are playing outside (B's 1st movement to Pastoral symphony).

Does anyone recall any of these?

I'm not a big Simpsons fan, but I watch it once in a while, and as soon as I saw this topic, I thought "Sax-o-mo-phone"

I do watch Groening's other animated series, "Futurama" all the time, though. I don't recall any Beethoven references in that.

Comment

I can remember many Bugs Bunny cartoons that featured Beethoven and lots of opera too.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

There's an episode in which Principal Skinner has been deposed from his charge, so he is in his mother's house. Barts visits him, and when he opens Skinner's room door, he is conducting imaginarily a recording of the fifth symphony.

Comment

Not Beethoven but while we're on the topic of the Simpsons, does anyone recall Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf in the episode where Santa's little helper (the dog) ran away?
          A little off topic, but something to note.

Comment

I didn't know that about Beethoven but I'm not that surprised. There are lots of indications in the programs that the writers are far from being idiots. Many dismiss the program as dumb but it is actually a very well written, clever comedy.

Speaking of classical music and cartoons, my first ever introduction to Wagner was a Bugs Bunny cartoon, when I was a little boy. I remember Bugs Bunny and Elma Fud (who had on one of those viking helmets with the horns) singing some scenes from the Ring Cycle. hahaha .. I have progressed beyond that stage now though!
            (BTW ... I have always thought Mozart's Magic Flute could be nicely adapted into a children's musical - it is, after all, more or less a light hearted, musical fairytale).
            "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Good idea!
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:

Speaking of classical music and cartoons, my first ever introduction to Wagner was a Bugs Bunny cartoon, when I was a little boy. I remember Bugs Bunny and Elma Fud (who had on one of those viking helmets with the horns) singing some scenes from the Ring Cycle. hahaha .. I have progressed beyond that stage now though!
                I remember that one!! I think that's the one
                where they get 'married' at the end! I could have it mixed up with some others though, they did have a lot of classical music in Warner Brothers cartoons. Also the one where Bugs was the condutor 'Leopold'. I've forgotten the music they played however.

Joy

'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:

I do watch Groening's other animated series, "Futurama" all the time, though. I don't recall any Beethoven references in that.
                  Is that still on? I used to watch that!!

Joy

Comment

There is also that classic bugs bunny show where he is cutting that guy's hair (whose name I don't know in the english version) and he is also performing Rossini's Barber of Seville. That is hours of fun, for you keep on laughing after the cartoon.

There were also those Tom & Jerry episodes where Tom would play Liszt or other at the piano and Jerry would come teasing him out, the thing would become a battle on the piano.

I think that classical music goes well with those types of cartoons, for they can't say the smallest thing on those shows and all the sound resumes to the music. So if this sound can be good classical music, it's the perfect match.
                    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                      [B]There is also that classic bugs bunny show where he is cutting that guy's hair (whose name I don't know in the english version) and he is also performing Rossini's Barber of Seville. That is hours of fun, for you keep on laughing after the cartoon.
                      =============================================

That was Elmer Fudd again whose little bit of hair was being cut by barber Bugs. I think his 3 hairs turned into flowers at one point.

There were also those Tom & Jerry episodes where Tom would play Liszt or other at the piano and Jerry would come teasing him out, the thing would become a battle on the piano.
                      B]
                      I had forgotten about the Tom and Jerry cartoons, but now I do remember them playing lots of classicla music as well. A way to introduce our children to classical music for sure!

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                        I had forgotten about the Tom and Jerry cartoons, but now I do remember them playing lots of classicla music as well. A way to introduce our children to classical music for sure!

Joy
                        There was a European cartoon years back called 'Ludvig'. L was a bizarre fiddle playing egg shaped crystal as far as I can remember. They played the scherzo from the Septet I think as the theme tune, or maybe it was the finale of the 1st symphony.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                        X