noise levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noise levels

When Mozart was composing at the end of the eighteenth century, the City of Vienna was so quiet that fire alarms could be given verbally, by a shouting watchman on top of St. Stefan's Cathedral.
    In the twenty-first century society, the noise level is such that it keeps knocking our bodies out of tune and out of their natural rhythms.
    The ever increasing assault of sound upon our ears, minds and bodies adds to the stress load of civilized beings trying to live in a highly complex environment.

Originally posted by ann hathaway:

When Mozart was composing at the end of the eighteenth century, the City of Vienna was so quiet that fire alarms could be given verbally, by a shouting watchman on top of St. Stefan's Cathedral.
    In the twenty-first century society, the noise level is such that it keeps knocking our bodies out of tune and out of their natural rhythms.
    The ever increasing assault of sound upon our ears, minds and bodies adds to the stress load of civilized beings trying to live in a highly complex environment.
    Anne,
    And to make it worse for me, I live way out in the country where it is so very quiet all the time, so when I go to the city for work, I can hardly stand it! I moved here from Dallas almost 20 years ago, and it was so noisy there that we had to keep the doors and windows tightly closed all the time just to hear the music or television. The shock of having peace and quiet here almost was more than I could take!
    Regards, Gurn

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited January 26, 2003).]
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

You more or less expect noise in the city. What I find really intolerable is noise pollution in the countryside. It is horrible and depressing to be walking about woodland, or a charming little village, and hear in the background the endless humming of some horrible dark satanic motorway full of traffic.
      At least in England, there should be a ban on building any more motorways in scenic parts of the countryside.

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited January 26, 2003).]
      "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

A pox on snowmobiles and personal water crafts.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Here in Heiligenstadt we have the usual noise from cars, buses and from the Strassenbahns (trams) but it's much less than what you hear in downtown Vienna. I escape it by going for walks in the nearby Vienna Woods, especially up on the Kahlenberg. Retracing Beethoven's walks through these lovely places brings you to another time and place. It's so wonderful to be able to get away from the noise of the city and to be able to enjoy the Vienna Woods with its sounds of nature. Heaven...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
            Here in Heiligenstadt we have the usual noise from cars, buses and from the Strassenbahns (trams) but it's much less than what you hear in downtown Vienna. I escape it by going for walks in the nearby Vienna Woods, especially up on the Kahlenberg. Retracing Beethoven's walks through these lovely places brings you to another time and place. It's so wonderful to be able to get away from the noise of the city and to be able to enjoy the Vienna Woods with its sounds of nature. Heaven...
            How lucky you are! Fortunately I live in the country so noise isn't a great problem, but there are no places Beethoven walked here! We do have a ruined castle but it isn't quite the same as the Rauhenstein in the Helenthal!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I used to live in the country and miss the quiet. Here in the city it can get quite noisy especially when you're in the car and the next car has his bass so loud it drowns out your classical music on the radio!! Up goes the windows!!

Joy
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
              X