posthumous discoveries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

posthumous discoveries

In the early 1970s, I played a Beethoven piano piece in competition that was, at that time, a recent discovery. I haven't had the music for many years, and can't remember the name of it. (I do remember getting a I- rating because I accidently left out a movement, but was able to go back and play it when asked.) Does anyone know of any music that was discovered during the late 1960s or early 70s?

Originally posted by Janice:
    In the early 1970s, I played a Beethoven piano piece in competition that was, at that time, a recent discovery. I haven't had the music for many years, and can't remember the name of it. (I do remember getting a I- rating because I accidently left out a movement, but was able to go back and play it when asked.) Does anyone know of any music that was discovered during the late 1960s or early 70s?
    Don't know about this piece, all I remember is an authentic late (1817) quartet movement discovered about 2 years ago, which was very nice indeed.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Don't know about this piece, all I remember is an authentic late (1817) quartet movement discovered about 2 years ago, which was very nice indeed.

Rod, do you remember what place this was discovered? It always seems interesting to me how a piece can be discovered after hundreds of years. I mean how come it was never found before by anyone. I'm talking about anything artwork, music, etc. not just this particular piece of music. There's been many things discovered like this in the past.

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited January 22, 2003).]
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Rod, do you remember what place this was discovered? It always seems interesting to me how a piece can be discovered after hundreds of years. I mean how come it was never found before by anyone. I'm talking about anything artwork, music, etc. not just this particular piece of music. There's been many things discovered like this in the past.

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited January 22, 2003).]

Try this link!
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/467734.stm

------------------

Comment

Very interesting article,I do hope these treasures didn't get chopped up into investment for the owner!
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

It can be listened to on the BBC site. Beautiful piece. Rod, is that the whole piece, or one movement, or even less?
            See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Thanks Rod. Very interesting article. What a treat to hear Beethoven music I never heard before. That house certainly did have some treasures in it.

Joy
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                It can be listened to on the BBC site. Beautiful piece. Rod, is that the whole piece, or one movement, or even less?
                That is the whole piece, a single short movement.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Janice:

Wasn't there a cello sonata discovered within the last 20 or 30 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Wasn't there a cello sonata discovered within the last 20 or 30 years?
                    Which of Beethoven's cello sonatas would this be?!

------------------

Comment

Which of Beethoven's cello sonatas would this be?!

The last one???

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

The last one???
                        No, I think we should forget the cello sonatas altogether in this respect. There are only 5 'true' cello sonatas and the cello arrangement of the horn sonata. None of these were lost as far as I am aware.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 25, 2003).]

Comment

No, I think we should forget the cello sonatas altogether in this respect. There are only 5 'true' cello sonatas and the cello arrangement of the horn sonata. None of these were lost as far as I am aware.

It might have been fragments or sketches for a cello sonata. Whatever it was the cello was the principle instrument. But since that was about 30 years ago more or less my memory may be a bit faulty there.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice View Post
                            No real discoveries, but two important publications with a lot of "new" material which could be explored.

In Beethoven year 1970 Joseph Kerman published Ludwig van Beethoven. Autograph Miscellany from circa 1786 to 1799. (...) The Kafka Sketchbook.
                            (British Museum, 2 vols. I Facsimile. II Transcriptions.)

Many of these relatively early sketches were in such a state, that with only relatively slight amendments (e.g. adding the left hand to obvious piano pieces of which the right hand was completely or nearly completely sketched) a dozen or so pieces could be published in a playable state.
                            And indeed such an edition saw the light of day (I at the moment cannot recall the editor , I'll come back to that) and among those pieces IIRC there was a sonatina, a pastorella, some dances, all little piano pieces.

Beethoven year 1977 saw the publication of Douglas Johnson's Beethoven's Early sketches in the "Fischof Miscellany" Berlin Autograph 28. Studies in Musicology no.22, Ann Arbor, Michigan. (2 vols, I history, description, reconstruction; II transcription).

Again some of the pieces were nearly in a publishable and playable state, though of these AFAIK not an edition completely based on this Fischof material has been published. Some of these pieces have been recorded however on a CD called Romantic discoveries CD 19 (http://www.beethoven-france.org/Boutique/Cds_En.html )and on CDs from the Monument Records label http://www.monumentrecords.com/default.asp

Comment

Working...
                            X