Rare page - 8 Variations on Gretry's Air "Une fievre brulante"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano:
    These minatures define some of Beethoven's greatest output. I compare these with other minatures, such as by Mendelssohn and Schumann and I can see that Beethoven takes his hat off to no one. Every note has its place and is an important part of each of these little masterpieces.
    I can't think of many occasions where Beethoven would take his hat off regarding ANY genre of music! Perhaps only with the oratorio, and had he lived he had ideas to write a few big oratorio works (his 'Christus..' is undervalued and quite electric performed correctly, but is long enough only to make a rather short first act if compared to Handel's 3 act efforts). Only the relative shallowness to the typical opera goer prevents Fidelio from being recognised as the greatest opera that it is!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Only the relative shallowness of the typical opera goer prevents Fidelio from being recognised as the greatest opera that it is!

"The typical opera goer" here in my small city does not,I am convinced,attend the opera to hear the music and enjoy the spectacle,judging by the amount of chat one must endure through-out the performance these people are buying tickets so they may be seen by their peers in their new gowns , furs and jewels.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
        "The typical opera goer" here in my small city does not,I am convinced,attend the opera to hear the music and enjoy the spectacle,judging by the amount of chat one must endure through-out the performance these people are buying tickets so they may be seen by their peers in their new gowns , furs and jewels.
        Has the opera Fidelio ever been performed in your city? As long as I've lived in Phoenix I don't remember it being performed but if it is I will certainly attend.

Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          Has the opera Fidelio ever been performed in your city? As long as I've lived in Phoenix I don't remember it being performed but if it is I will certainly attend.

Joy
          Over the years the operas tended to be chosen on the basis of mass appeal so we would have a lot of Carmen and The Magic Flute etc. But I have noticed that Wozzeck is on this season so perhaps Fidelio might be a possability in the future.I would go if they presented it though.I'll buy a cheap seat to get away from the" Diamond Lil's".
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            Over the years the operas tended to be chosen on the basis of mass appeal so we would have a lot of Carmen and The Magic Flute etc. But I have noticed that Wozzeck is on this season so perhaps Fidelio might be a possability in the future.I would go if they presented it though.I'll buy a cheap seat to get away from the" Diamond Lil's".
            We've had Carmen performed here too recently also La Traviata, Hansel and Gretal, and Salome. But no Fidelio to date!

Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
            X