Some Beethoven tracks please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Beethoven tracks please!!

It occurs to me that whilst members are posting Bach, Handel and Wagner mp3s, no one is putting up Beethoven!!!!! (I'm not counting the rare page as this is solely Rod's contribution).

What would be very welcome is for members to post some Beethoven pieces for our discussion. Post whatever you like, but let's keep it solely Beethoven. This could and should become a very worthwhile thread!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    It occurs to me that whilst members are posting Bach, Handel and Wagner mp3s, no one is putting up Beethoven!!!!! (I'm not counting the rare page as this is solely Rod's contribution).

What would be very welcome is for members to post some Beethoven pieces for our discussion. Post whatever you like, but let's keep it solely Beethoven. This could and should become a very worthwhile thread!

Well, I've already refrained from posting any more Handel, the last - the Solomon overture - was wholely relevant to Beethoven in any case. This won't be happening again from me until 'The Consecration of the House' appears as an mp3 at what will replace the rare page (in about 2 years for this late piece!) - some parts of this are virtually an arrangement of the overture to Handel's first Chandos Anthem. I agree about the other stuff though. Regardless anything posted should also come with full credits and catalogue details where possible.

Might I also humbly add that the posts noting the new works at the rare page are supposed to largely fulfill the purpose you describe above, though most of these posts recieve a scant number of comments Peter. These posts are my ONLY motivation for continuing with the rare page. If I see none or just one or two, I can only presume people in general are not interested, then I get strange ideas about discontinuing the process.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 12, 2003).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Well the only reason I don't post comments about the rare page offering is that I do not wish to appear hopelessly dimwitted and thick in comparison to the obviously much smarted memmbers on this forum however if you require an RSVP from me when ever an mp3 is offered I shall be delighted to comply.I do listen to every single offering and have mentioned before how much I enjoy this splendid service.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
        Well the only reason I don't post comments about the rare page offering is that I do not wish to appear hopelessly dimwitted and thick in comparison to the obviously much smarted memmbers on this forum however if you require an RSVP from me when ever an mp3 is offered I shall be delighted to comply.I do listen to every single offering and have mentioned before how much I enjoy this splendid service.
        I want any kind of comment you like, positive or negative, in-depth or just a few words. I'm never concerned with dull academic stuff in any case Muriel. That's the death of music, and why I'll never be a music student!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Might I also humbly add that the posts noting the new works at the rare page are supposed to largely fulfill the purpose you describe above, though most of these posts recieve a scant number of comments Peter. These posts are my ONLY motivation for continuing with the rare page. If I see none or just one or two, I can only presume people in general are not interested, then I get strange ideas about discontinuing the process.

Well the point about the rare page is that it is limited to only yourself posting. The rare page and its imminent successor (the period instrument recordings) are a very important and much appreciated part of this site, however I think in addition that all members should be encouraged to post any Beethoven pieces they would like to discuss.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'd be pleased to post some interesting tracks, but I think most of the free web-hosting services don't accept mp3 files. Maybe Rod knows one which does, or he could give us the password of a server he has so everyody who wants can post there, preferently through ftp.

Comment

You could always change the .mp3 to .txt so as to hide the true nature of the file... But you didn't hear that from me!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                Well the point about the rare page is that it is limited to only yourself posting. The rare page and its imminent successor (the period instrument recordings) are a very important and much appreciated part of this site, however I think in addition that all members should be encouraged to post any Beethoven pieces they would like to discuss.

Ok then, but I suspect those with the motivation and/or the facility to do this would have already done so. However we know Chaszz now has some web space, so let's see if he has any Beethoven recordings he feels worthy of sharing with us...

From my perspective there aren't that many good Beethoven recordings to choose from in any case!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                  I'd be pleased to post some interesting tracks, but I think most of the free web-hosting services don't accept mp3 files. Maybe Rod knows one which does, or he could give us the password of a server he has so everyody who wants can post there, preferently through ftp.
                  Not possible from me I'm afraid, ask Chaszz who his server is.

------------------

Comment

Ok then, but I suspect those with the motivation and/or the facility to do this would have already done so.
                    Maybe, but no harm in asking!

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Ok then, but I suspect those with the motivation and/or the facility to do this would have already done so. However we know Chaszz now has some web space, so let's see if he has any Beethoven recordings he feels worthy of sharing with us...

From my perspective there aren't that many good Beethoven recordings to choose from in any case!

The web space I'm using is maintained by my son basically for his business. He has somewhat more than he needs, and told me I could post some music, but he prefers not to have the password given out.

If members would like to try emailing some MP3 files to me, I would be glad to see if I can upload them to that domain, after removing some of my older Bach tracks from it. I don't think I would have much trouble receiving the files into my email, because I'm on DSL.

As far as uploading Beethoven tracks myself, I have only a selection of the basic works, nothing off the beaten track, and maybe not in versions which would be deemed acceptable by the site watchguard. Although I do have the complete symphonies by Simon Rattle with Birmingham, which some might like to sample. I freely admit my concentration, learning and acquiring lately has been on Wagner, where I'm building a collection (and where I still hope to offer a few more tracks). I only started collecting even Bach again recently only for the Handel vs. Bach thread.

In the spirit of Kundry in the last act of 'Parsifal', who desires only to serve, I offer to resign my membership in the site because of my overweening interest in Wagner, or to remain but serve only as a conduit for those wishing to post Beethoven MP3s to my son's site. Ip ixit.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited January 13, 2003).]
                      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:

In the spirit of Kundry in the last act of 'Parsifal', who desires only to serve, I offer to resign my membership in the site because of my overweening interest in Wagner, or to remain but serve only as a conduit for those wishing to post Beethoven MP3s to my son's site. Ip ixit.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited January 13, 2003).]
                        And why should interest in other composers serve as a criteria for membership? Stick around, Chaszz, your commentary is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                          And why should interest in other composers serve as a criteria for membership? Stick around, Chaszz, your commentary is appreciated.
                          Technically the posting of Handel, Bach, Wagner etc does not conflict with the rules of this forum as identified above.

My Handel/Bach chain was not a simple diversion to other composers but an attempt to address a specific issue that needed addressing which itself had a Beethoven connection. Otherwise I would not as a rule post non-Beethoven music or discuss other composers as a matter of course - which I think is what Peter is worried about. I agree that this place should not become a general CM forum but should maintain its Beethoven focus.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 13, 2003).]

Comment

The vast range of musicians Beethoven influenced from his day to this will make it nigh impossable not to mention all of their names at some time or another.I'm trying to think what the farthest stretch might be...how about Liberace!
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

although Maurice Gibb might also have been influenced by Beethoven my Italian is terrible.
                              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                              X