Beethoven manuscripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven manuscripts

In view of the recent sale of the first page of the 9th symphony at southebys to a private collector. Do you think Beethoven priceless manuscripts should be kept in Vienna or Bonn in their country of origin or in a rapidly shrinking world is it less important and more the case that when money talks and without state intervention it is unrealistic to think that any one country can have a manopoly on its own cultural heritage.

Originally posted by margaret hopkins:
    In view of the recent sale of the first page of the 9th symphony at southebys to a private collector. Do you think Beethoven priceless manuscripts should be kept in Vienna or Bonn in their country of origin or in a rapidly shrinking world is it less important and more the case that when money talks and without state intervention it is unrealistic to think that any one country can have a manopoly on its own cultural heritage.
    I am distressed, firstly, that I hadn't heard of that transaction. It's ghastly, IMHO. Just the first page? Why not the whole thing? That's a sin in my book! As for the larger question, Vienna, of course. One can scarcely help but note that they didn't appreciate their abundant riches any better when Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert et al were alive than they do now, apparently. Are there not enough of us in the world to be able to exert some influence (to wit - do we not spend enough money) to let a place of that nature sustain itself without a state subsidy? I fear not, and to echo Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles, "Well, I am depressed". One thought, if there are not enough Beethoven lovers to justify the operating costs, surely there are enough lovers of Viennese Classical music to do so. Just a thought, while sitting here listening to Opus 3.
    Gurn
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by margaret hopkins:
      I'm torn on this one - ideally I'd like to think all the manuscripts, letters etc were kept in museums (not necessarily all in Vienna) rather than in private hands - however if I had a few thousand spare to buy a Beethoven letter or page of manuscript I think I probably would!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

So would I, Peter! I think it's good that some historic manuscripts, among other things of famous people, are in places throughout the world so that the majority of people can get to view them. If everything was in one museum just in one place, think of all the people who would never get the chance to see them. That would be sad.

Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          So would I, Peter! I think it's good that some historic manuscripts, among other things of famous people, are in places throughout the world so that the majority of people can get to view them. If everything was in one museum just in one place, think of all the people who would never get the chance to see them. That would be sad.

Joy
          This reminds me of the tug-of-war between Greece and England over the fate of the Parthenon sculptures. Someone lately suggested in print that they be jointly owned and shipped back and forth. The thought made me shudder in horror.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Sell all the art and artifacts to the highest bidder that is what puts a value(read $$$) upon them,DO NOT leave it to governments who simply refuse to see the value of antiquities.This isn't right but it all that can realisticlly be done to preserve
            these precious things.Thank heaven for human nature that will desire these owners to share their treasures.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

>>>I am distressed, firstly, that I hadn't heard of that transaction. It's ghastly, IMHO. Just the first page? Why not the whole thing? That's a sin in my book!<<<<

Worse than that has happened. Several years ago a Mozart manuscript was purchased, sorry but I forget the Kochel number. The buyer cut each page into six parts and sold them for $10,000 each. Made a tidy profit while destroying a piece of history.

Steve
              www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by SR:
                >>>I am distressed, firstly, that I hadn't heard of that transaction. It's ghastly, IMHO. Just the first page? Why not the whole thing? That's a sin in my book!<<<<

Worse than that has happened. Several years ago a Mozart manuscript was purchased, sorry but I forget the Kochel number. The buyer cut each page into six parts and sold them for $10,000 each. Made a tidy profit while destroying a piece of history.

Steve
                Man, I wish you hadn't told me that! That is what happens when priceless items are left to private hands; there is just no boundary on greed!
                Alas, Gurn
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by SR:

Steve
                  This is absoulutely shamefull.
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                  X