No announcement yet.

Most challenging piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I've just noticed I've surpassed Peter's number of posts! I am King!!! Prostrate yourselves before your master you surfs!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 14, 2003).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Hey I've just noticed I've surpassed Peter's number of posts! I am King!!! Prostrate yourselves before your master you surfs!

Careful there, Rod. You're starting to sound a bit Napoleonic and you know what happened to him. You already have a seat next to me on Mount Olympus, what more do you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

That is quite a feat indeed! Hail King Rod!
        Do you think the Queen will Knight you now?

Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Welcome to the club Leigh. We did discuss this point some time ago, in conjunction with the use of fortepianos for Beethoven's music. In some circumstances it is clear than B was making use of characteristics specific to the pianos of the day, that do not translate so easily on modern pianos. I'd be interested to know what kind of piano you have.

My piano has on the lid: Hornung & Moller. I'm not really well educated in old piano manufacturers, but i'm pretty sure it's German, about 85 years old or something. The problem with the keys is that they aren't really well rounded on the edges, making glisses quite painful!

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh M:
            My piano has on the lid: Hornung & Moller. I'm not really well educated in old piano manufacturers, but i'm pretty sure it's German, about 85 years old or something. The problem with the keys is that they aren't really well rounded on the edges, making glisses quite painful!
            Ouch! I've played pianos like that and I know just what you mean! I also hate getting a fingernail caught between the keys when I'm doing scales.

Comment

Taking a ride in the glissando thing, how does one play those and make them sound not as a glissando but as scales, the first piano concerto has those too and I get frustrated every time I get there, for I play the entire piece and can't play that damm thing. Also I think they are not supposed to be glissandos, in my copy of the sonatas (a very good indeed Dover edition), the editor explains that there is another way to do those (if I recall correctly) which was brought by B himself and is with both hands, and the left would do something easier when it was it's turn to do it.

P.S.: Congratulations Rod, I hope Peter and you will keep enlightening us trough the ways of Beethoven!
              "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                Taking a ride in the glissando thing, how does one play those and make them sound not as a glissando but as scales, the first piano concerto has those too and I get frustrated every time I get there, for I play the entire piece and can't play that damm thing. Also I think they are not supposed to be glissandos, in my copy of the sonatas (a very good indeed Dover edition), the editor explains that there is another way to do those (if I recall correctly) which was brought by B himself and is with both hands, and the left would do something easier when it was it's turn to do it.

I, too, would like to know the secret. When I've listened to some of the performance of these works that have very fast scalar passages I am reminded of a computer programmed "performance".

Comment

Working...
                X