Rare Page - fugue for string quartet Hess 36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Page - fugue for string quartet Hess 36

Now availble to members on the rare page.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

A wonderful and successful entry for the Rare Page - my favorite of the past several, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
      A wonderful and successful entry for the Rare Page - my favorite of the past several, I think.
      Yes a pretty good effort here, as they do with the other preludes & fuge excercises on this disk. Of course B had a good subject to study in this case, though I'm sure this arrangement was not too difficult a task for him as the fuge itself is not a particularly complex affair.

If you want to compare it with Handel's original overture, an excellent piece in my opinion, here it is as promised as an mp3 from McCreesh's excellent recording on Archiv. It is in 3 sections, the fugue being the central part:

Solomon Overture

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 07, 2003).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

This is a lovely piece and it lifted my spirits on this very gray, cold and snowy day we are having here in Vienna. Danke!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Now availble to members on the rare page.
          www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

Both pieces are wonderful.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Very, very nice! I am listening to this right now and will listen to the overture next. Thanks for a wonderful entry in the rare pages!

Comment

Really, really enjoyed these pieces. I hadn't heard Hess 36 before so it was a real treat. Can't say it's cold and gray here (never is) but it certainly lifted my spirits as well.

Joy
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

It occured to me too draw readers attention to the lean silky smooth string textures emanating from the overture compared to the far less sonorous effect from the quartet as a result in particular of the continual use of vibrato and secondarily the modern stringing (the orchestra uses gut). This 'vibrato continuoso' is the curse of music performance.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 08, 2003).]

Comment

What is Beethoven's work here? Did he write additional notes or he just copied them from the orchestral to the quartet score?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                    What is Beethoven's work here? Did he write additional notes or he just copied them from the orchestral to the quartet score?
                    If you have listened to both tracks you will realise that the quartet is not a true Beethoven composition as such but a copy by him of the Handel fugue arranged as near as possible for quartet.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 09, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      If you have listened to both tracks you will realise that the quartet is not a true Beethoven composition as such but a copy by him of the Handel fugue arranged as near as possible for quartet.

Oh! I will download the overture, I didn't notice it was there.

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                        Oh! I will download the overture, I didn't notice it was there.
                        I posted the link to the overture on my first comment in this chain, but, in true Chaszz fashion, here it is again.
                        Solomon Overture

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 10, 2003).]

Comment

Working...
                        X