Time travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaszz:
    I just thought I'd observe that politically Beethoven was a liberal and not a conservative. Let's see if someone will take issue with THAT!

Well, I can't. I think he was liberal too, within the meaning of the times. The one thing that I think that would label him conservative (not in the broad sense) is that I think he hated to see the end of patronage of artists by the ruling class. And who can blame him, since the artisan class was really strapped for cash without the royals to support them. He must have looked at the way Haydn had been supported all his life by the Esterhazys and felt like it was the worst of times. His own 'trust fund/pension' was so devalued and hard to collect that it must have been more of a chore than it was worth sometimes!
    Regards, Gurn
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      I think he hated to see the end of patronage of artists by the ruling class. And who can blame him, since the artisan class was really strapped for cash without the royals to support them. He must have looked at the way Haydn had been supported all his life by the Esterhazys and felt like it was the worst of times. His own 'trust fund/pension' was so devalued and hard to collect that it must have been more of a chore than it was worth sometimes!
      Regards, Gurn
      "He was not a good housekeeper and had the ill luck to be robbed by those about him.So he often lacked the neccessities.In the early part of our aquaintance I once asked him,after he had been absent from the eating house,"You were not ill were you?"-"My boots were,as as I have only one pair I had house arrest"from Spohr's Autobiography.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
        "He was not a good housekeeper and had the ill luck to be robbed by those about him.So he often lacked the neccessities.In the early part of our aquaintance I once asked him,after he had been absent from the eating house,"You were not ill were you?"-"My boots were,as as I have only one pair I had house arrest"from Spohr's Autobiography.
        spaceray,
        That is such a hilarious quote it makes me laugh out loud! It is indeed a sad state to find oneself in, but the good humor he projects with his answer is a hoot. Thanks,
        Regards, Gurn
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X