beethovens hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beethovens hair

thankyou for your fed back, but i must correct my spelling to from southeby to sothebys., only you were too polite to notice. Just as an added interest the famous lock of beethovens hair presented in a locket, was also purchased at auction at sothebys in 1994 for £3,600, by members of the American Beethoven Society, (San Jose State University California). 422 strands in all. which have undergone and still being analysed for high lead content. Also being currently analysed for dna is our immortal beloved beethovens skull fragmets. which were undergiong study in 1980,s in vienna. Our dear Beethoven once said, "Oh it would be lovely to live a thousand lives!" Ofcourse he still lives! margaret. I really will get round to reading all the topics on this site.

Originally posted by margaret hopkins:
    thankyou for your fed back, but i must correct my spelling to from southeby to sothebys., only you were too polite to notice. Just as an added interest the famous lock of beethovens hair presented in a locket, was also purchased at auction at sothebys in 1994 for £3,600, by members of the American Beethoven Society, (San Jose State University California). 422 strands in all. which have undergone and still being analysed for high lead content. Also being currently analysed for dna is our immortal beloved beethovens skull fragmets. which were undergiong study in 1980,s in vienna. Our dear Beethoven once said, "Oh it would be lovely to live a thousand lives!" Ofcourse he still lives! margaret. I really will get round to reading all the topics on this site.
    These strands were purchased by two men. Ira Brilliant from Phoenix and Dr. Che Guevara from New Mexico. Dr. Guevara getting 27%and Ira getting the lion's share. He's also the one, who through his donations, got the Beethoven's museum in San Jose, (which is the largest collection of Beethoven's memorabilia in the Northern Hemisphere) started. I was fortunate enough to visit the museum and view the hair. The museum is full of manuscripts, autographs, receipts written by Beethoven himself, among other interesting artifacts. Last year when The Phoenix Symphony had it's Beethoven Festival they brought some of the artifacts from San Jose and also the lock of hair that Dr. Guevara has for an exhibit. Wonderful viewing.

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      These strands were purchased by two men. Ira Brilliant from Phoenix and Dr. Che Guevara from New Mexico. Dr. Guevara getting 27%and Ira getting the lion's share. He's also the one, who through his donations, got the Beethoven's museum in San Jose, (which is the largest collection of Beethoven's memorabilia in the Northern Hemisphere) started. I was fortunate enough to visit the museum and view the hair. The museum is full of manuscripts, autographs, receipts written by Beethoven himself, among other interesting artifacts. Last year when The Phoenix Symphony had it's Beethoven Festival they brought some of the artifacts from San Jose and also the lock of hair that Dr. Guevara has for an exhibit. Wonderful viewing.

Joy
      The availability of his DNA means that Beethoven will certainly be cloned and live again, probably later in the 21st century or early in the 22nd. This is not science fiction, work on cloning and genetics is progressing very fast. How many other geniuses have DNA we can still use? How will Bach, Handel, Beethoven and Wagner enjoy a Sunday brunch together? Mozart was consigned to a pauper's grave, I think, so he is probably not available. And more's the pity for us, who are sandwiched in between the originals and the clones with no way of meeting either. Unless it happens soon, or our relatives care to save our DNA and then clone US....

I do come up with some corkers, don't I?
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
        The availability of his DNA means that Beethoven will certainly be cloned and live again, probably later in the 21st century or early in the 22nd. This is not science fiction, work on cloning and genetics is progressing very fast. How many other geniuses have DNA we can still use? How will Bach, Handel, Beethoven and Wagner enjoy a Sunday brunch together? Mozart was consigned to a pauper's grave, I think, so he is probably not available. And more's the pity for us, who are sandwiched in between the originals and the clones with no way of meeting either. Unless it happens soon, or our relatives care to save our DNA and then clone US....

I do come up with some corkers, don't I?
        Well Chaszz if it ever happened that they could clone Beethoven from the DNA data from a stran of his hair then they could also do Mozart and Schubert. There are hair samples from these two and I have seen them on display at an exhibit I went to last month. Now that I think about it I also think that there were hair samples from Johann Strauss and Brahms at this same exhibit. Now this would make a great meeting of the minds...

Comment

The availability of his DNA means that Beethoven will certainly be cloned and live again, probably later in the 21st century or early in the 22nd. This is not science fiction, work on cloning and genetics is progressing very fast. How many other geniuses have DNA we can still use? How will Bach, Handel, Beethoven and Wagner enjoy a Sunday brunch together? Unless it happens soon, or our relatives care to save our DNA and then clone US....
          Now there's an idea!!

I do come up with some corkers, don't I? [/B][/QUOTE]

Indeed you do, Chaszz!! Very enjoyable!!

Joy

Comment

Perhaps some of the more scientifically- minded among us could tell if the DNA would be usable? It seems that after nearly two centuries it would have broken up or otherwise degenerated beyond usability.

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
              Perhaps some of the more scientifically- minded among us could tell if the DNA would be usable? It seems that after nearly two centuries it would have broken up or otherwise degenerated beyond usability.
              29 May 2002 - The Independent (UK)
              Scientists claim they will be able to clone genes of extinct tiger

By Kathy Marks in Sydney

Scientists are a step closer to rescuing the genes of an extinct species after a breakthrough by an Australian team trying to clone the Tasmanian Tiger, which was wiped out nearly 70 years ago.
              The team, based at the Australian Museum in Sydney, said yesterday it had succeeded in
              replicating some of the animal's genes, using DNA extracted from preserved specimens.
              The Tasmanian Tiger, also known as the thylacine, was a carnivorous marsupial that ran like a wolf and had a pouch like a kangaroo.The project to resurrect it began in 1999, when scientists extracted DNA from a 130-year-old female pup bottled in alcohol.
              ----------------------------------------------
              "Nucleic acids were first isolated from animal tissues in the late 1860's, but tremendous technological advances have occurred since then. Scientists using PCR enzymes can now extract usable DNA from scraps of hair or even fossilized insects millions of years old." - excerpt from introduction to lab experiment, Northern Arizona University
              --------------------------------------------
              ...DNA fingerprinting will work with much smaller amounts of material than a classical fingerprint & DNA lasts much longer than classical fingerprints. DNA-containing samples that are many years old (up to 25 million yr.) are still usable. Only very tiny quantities of DNA are required in order to carry out a highly accurate test. For example, dried blood, semen, spit, skin etc. on samples stored in dusty files for years are still usable. Samples of mixed DNA's can also be used. DNA containing evidence is much harder to clean up at a crime scene than other evidence, like classical fingerprints.

- MICROBIOLOGY 101 INTERNET TEXT
              CHAPTER X: GENETIC ENGINEERING Copyright © Dr. R. E. Hurlbert, 1996.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

29 May 2002 - The Independent (UK)
                Scientists claim they will be able to clone genes of extinct tiger

By Kathy Marks in Sydney

The Tasmanian Tiger, also known as the thylacine, was a carnivorous marsupial that ran like a wolf and had a pouch like a kangaroo.The project to resurrect it began in 1999, when scientists extracted DNA from a 130-year-old female pup bottled in alcohol.
                Let's hope they don't bring this guy 'back to life' in the near future. I think they're going to have some very oddball looking and acting animals (and possibly humans) out there with all this scientific technology.
                I say Proceed with Caution!

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
                  As I understand it they can use DNA from fossils that are millions of years old or at least they are headed in that direction.

Joy

Comment

This cloning stuff is truely weird.

Comment

creepy too!
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                        creepy too!
                        And what would Beethoven have said if he could see us zipping around on freeways, flying from Europe to America in 3 hours, and listening to the Ninth Symphony in superb sound on tiny MP3 players that fit into a shirt pocket?

Comment

And what would Beethoven have said if he could see us zipping around on freeways, flying from Europe to America in 3 hours, and listening to the Ninth Symphony in superb sound on tiny MP3 players that fit into a shirt pocket?

Probably the same thing we would say if we were around in 100 years and the technology and everything will be totally different say in the year 2103!!

Joy

Comment

Working...
                          X