W.O.O.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W.O.O.

For my father and I I'm looking for recordings of W.O.O. numbers. My father collected Beethoven music for over 30 years but still miss a lot of W.O.O. numbers and some Opus numbers. Who can help?
    Was is recorderd in the full oevre DGG cd-collection?
    Greetings to all Beethoven-lovers!
    David

Originally posted by Antonisse:
    For my father and I I'm looking for recordings of W.O.O. numbers. My father collected Beethoven music for over 30 years but still miss a lot of W.O.O. numbers and some Opus numbers. Who can help?
    David
    We've had a lot of WoO works presented as mp3 on the Rare Music page at this site. There are still a few more to come so you should check it out. The eastiest way to get your hands on this WoO music is via the Deutche Grammophon Complete Beethoven Works Edition on CD. But regardless you can still buy a lot of this stuff on various other recordings, at least here in London you can.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I can recomend the Trio Fontenay with Wolfgang Holzmair singing Beethoven settings of folksongs.Including WoO 155 no 12,15,21,25 and 26 also WoO 154 no 1,(my favorite)5, and 4 also WoO 153 no 9 and 11
      and WoO 152 no 10, 21 and 5.
      These are all wonderfully sung and played!
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Antonisse:
        David
        Yes indeed, there are dozens of WoO #'s available. Rod is correct, the CBE is the treasure trove, but $1200 US is a lot of money! Look at the Naxos catalogue for many of the piano pieces recorded by Jeno Jando on the 3 "Bagatelles & Dances" CD's. They are a best buy. ALso, I got the 3 Piano Quartets of WoO 36 on a Discover International Disc (DICD 920254) for $3.99 US, and it's excellent at any price. One need only be diligent in searching through bins of 623 recordings of Symphony #5, and little treasures like this one abound. If you send a private email to my address above, I will put together a little list of catalogue #'s for you. Also, tell me then what kind of shopping possibilities you have available, I could perhaps make some suggestions, as I have nearly no local places, so have had to do it the hard way.
        Good Luck,
        Gurn
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          Look at the Naxos catalogue for many of the piano pieces recorded by Jeno Jando on the 3 "Bagatelles & Dances" CD's. They are a best buy.
          Gurn
          I purchased these CD's by Jeno Jando and think they are very good indeed. I think I paid $2.99 (U.S.) for each one. Can't get much better than that!

Joy
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

The twenty volumes of the Complete Beethoven Edition may still be available separately.
            Volume Six is an eight CD set which contains all the piano music other than the sonatas. Although it has the usual suspects (Bagatelles, Diabelli variations, etc.) it also contains all the piano variations and smaller pieces as well as the organ music and four-hand piano works. It could tidy up a lot of loose ends.
            Volume 17 is a seven CD set which contains all (well, practically all) of the folksong settings.
            Most useful of all is Volume 18, a two disc set of some really rare works - arias, part-songs and canons. There are about 70 tracks on the second disc alone.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              I purchased these CD's by Jeno Jando and think they are very good indeed. I think I paid $2.99 (U.S.) for each one. Can't get much better than that!

Joy
              Joy, yes indeed, and I like Jando's playing on the sonatas too, and much of the other work he has done for Naxos. You know, you would think that from time to time you would get a real dog from a bargain label, but I have 200 or so Naxos CD's, and not a dog in the bunch. Go figure! In any case, I never heard of Jando before Naxos, although I guess he was around Europe, but I really like what he has done for them.
              Gurn
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn ,are all your CDs Classical ,what other Besides LVB composers do you like?
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                  Gurn ,are all your CDs Classical ,what other Besides LVB composers do you like?
                  Spaceray,
                  Yes, all classical. For me, controversially perhaps, classical music began with Bach and Vivaldi and died with Dvorak (although I admit to a fondness for Rachmaninov, who was just born too late, IMHO). There are few in between that I don't care for. My special passion is for the BIG 3 Classicists (H,M & B)and many of the romantics, esp. Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, and the big violin composers (Paganini, Wieniawski, Vieuxtemps), and those who specialized in chamber music, which is my focus. How about you? I think I heard you mention jazz one time. I like that too, just not enough to invest my limited resources, since I know where that leads! ;-)
                  Regards, Gurn
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I was in my twenties(I am now nearly fifty)
                    when singing with the jazz trio one night I looked out to the crowded smokey bar where no one was listening to the music and I thought to myself "I'm terrible at this"and I never got up on the band stand again.I went to trade school and learned to become an institutional cook and I've done that ever since.I couldn't stop singing tho and took up opera as a hobby ,I've been a classical vocal student for twenty five years.It is the highlight of my week to go to lessons,at first I sang what ever my teacher was willing to teach me as I was hopeless at reading music ,but I began piano lessons last summer and even tho I find the theory a bit overwhelming I'm persevereing and getting better ever day .I love early English opera and sing a lot of Purcell arias .I stumbled on this website when I was hunting for things to sing in English and I discovered LVB's settings of Irish,English ,Scots and Welsh Folksongs.
                    But after listening to Rod's Rare Selections I became hooked and have been listening to a LOT of Beethoven and enjoying reading this forum ever since.
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                      I was in my twenties(I am now nearly fifty)
                      when singing with the jazz trio one night I looked out to the crowded smokey bar where no one was listening to the music and I thought to myself "I'm terrible at this"and I never got up on the band stand again.I went to trade school and learned to become an institutional cook and I've done that ever since.I couldn't stop singing tho and took up opera as a hobby ,I've been a classical vocal student for twenty five years.It is the highlight of my week to go to lessons,at first I sang what ever my teacher was willing to teach me as I was hopeless at reading music ,but I began piano lessons last summer and even tho I find the theory a bit overwhelming I'm persevereing and getting better ever day .I love early English opera and sing a lot of Purcell arias .I stumbled on this website when I was hunting for things to sing in English and I discovered LVB's settings of Irish,English ,Scots and Welsh Folksongs.
                      But after listening to Rod's Rare Selections I became hooked and have been listening to a LOT of Beethoven and enjoying reading this forum ever since.
                      spaceray,
                      I have been in a few bars myself where no one was listening to the (excellent) music, and I always thought the players must find it terribly discouraging. My own vocal career came to an abrupt end when I turned from a superb tenor to a mediocre baritone virtually overnight! Mixed blessing I guess, since the hormonal rush sent me off on a new (but equally, alas, short-lived ;-)) career! I merely wore out popular music and returned to "my father's music", and now listen with equal enthusiasm to anything (instrumental) written from 1720 to 1900. So it goes. I must confess, and open myself to derision, that B did manage the only vocal work that I can listen to with regularity (I needn't name it). I love operatic music, however, and am particularly fond of Gil Shaham's 'Fiddler of the Opera' which contains a number of Heifetz transcriptions and others for Violin & Piano. Makes even a devout instrumentalist appreciate opera. ;-))
                      Regards, Gurn
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I haven't been listening to much opera these days at all,I reach for the piano music more than anything ,I do listen to the classical radio station while I'm working but the kitchen is not the ideal environment for listening much too much noise.
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

WoO numbers on beethoven are hard to find....why don't you try Ebay.com Antonisse. You'll have your chance right there finding everything on Beethoven.

Comment

Working...
                          X